Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
Using mytube I replaced youtube-dl-x by the new python script which works on both the N810 and the Ubuntu on my laptop.
It downloads but the videos are 360p and mplayer on the N810 does not play 360p.

Is there an option to playback 360 or download it to 240p?
I tried -f 18 and -f 34 in youtube-dl but they all download to 360p.

UPDATE: When downloaded without the -f option (thus 360p FLV) and starting mplayer from the command line I got:

[flv @ 0x39de60]Unsupported video codec (7)

Which video codec is missing ?

Last edited by skatebiker; 2011-03-13 at 11:12.

The Following User Says Thank You to skatebiker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Bumping this thread in hopes for an answer.

I don't think the N8x0 is capable of more than 240p even with mplayer. Even though the N8x0 has an 800x480 screen it's pretty much incapable of doing more than 400x240 for most videos.

Not true.

I'm able to actually play a 720x480 video with fairly good results.

Anyway, ever since late September of last year, m.youtube.com has slowly been degrading.

The features which have been removed over this time are searching for videos that were most viewed, favorited, and discussed.

youtube.com/xl was suddenly dropped.

They also have removed categories of Education, Music, News, and Sports.

As of today, there is no longer a mobile site for Youtube.

I guess it's time to finally start looking for a newer tablet.

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Barcelona - Spain
Hello,
I can't see YouTube videos on my N810, i have installed Canola with the YouTube plugin, Mediabox, mytube... Mediabox says "error". Only with MicroB can see them in the browser, but slow. This can be for some reason? Or these programs are not updated and they don't work actually...

Originally Posted by Fatalist View Post
Hello,
I can't see YouTube videos on my N810, i have installed Canola with the YouTube plugin, Mediabox, mytube... Mediabox says "error". Only with MicroB can see them in the browser, but slow. This can be for some reason? Or these programs are not updated and they don't work actually...
Neither canola nor mediabox are being maintained although the author of mediabox is still on maemo.org.

Up until recently one had two options for youtube on an N8x0 device.

A specific web browser (tear) going to a specific website (m.youtube.com) and a specific video grabbing script (which I can't remember the name of). Obviously this is not the method I use but it was used by maemo.org user Addison. PM Addison for more info on this method. This method only requires downloading two things, one of which is available straight from the diablo extras repository.

The other method, which I use, involves downloading 3 or more things but has the advantage of bypassing youtube's user facing websites completely and just pulling the file from their servers (which also means you don't get the "you can't see this file on a mobile device" error) and no commercials. This method involves downloading mytube. Then downloading mytubepatch. These should both be done through the usual application manager. Then download this deb. This will install a file called getpass.py and an obsolete version of youtube-dl-x. Next replace this obsolete version with the latest version of youtube-dl from this website . I believe you'll have to rename it to youtube-dl-x (note the lack of an extension). Actually the file there does not appear to be a text file (I think they screwed up) So instead just download the tar file also listed in that page and extract the youtube-dl file there. Rename and copy it to someplace where the system will find it /usr/bin is typical I believe. Finally, go into from mytube's context menu choose preferences/more, choose the youtube-dl tab, type in the following:
Code:
Code:
youtube-dl-x -f 5 -o %d -- %s
. See also this post where I describe the same steps (more or less). Also this post where I also talk about the same thing (more or less). I think one of these threads also discusses Addison's method as well. Can you tell I'm tired of talking about this?

Oh one last note, this will allow downloading of files but does not allow playing the video until it is fully downloaded and does not give feedback on how much of the file has been downloaded. But if it spins for more than 30 seconds, you can assume it is working. It will let you know when it is done. Really I wish someone would package all of this crap together and call it mytube 1.6. If I ever learn to write actual python and practice packaging debs I'll do it myself.

The Following User Says Thank You to jcharpak For This Useful Post:
Thank you very much! I'll try the method you use; no problem if the video does not play until is fully downloaded. Thanks for the help, that's why I love this community :-)

It's seem like the mobile site m.youtube.com is all but history now.

Instead you need to use this new Iphone layout version.
http://m.youtube.com/?app=m

This is the thread that I used and enjoyed the most for playing YouTube videos.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=84669

If you have the patience and time, you can always use this site as well.
http://www.clipconverter.cc/

Set the conversion to .Avi, max out the video bit rate to 768 kbps, and then convert.

From my months of using that site, I have found it's best to do this after 12 am EST where it can download YouTube videos up to 50 Megs per second.

In the morning, afternoon, and evenings it can be quite sluggish at times.

Anyway, I don't care at all for the new mobile YouTube page and it was enough for me to own a Nexus 10 tablet for watching videos.

Best of luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the links Addison. And yes too bad the mobile site m.youtube.com does not works anymore. :-(

The Following User Says Thank You to Fatalist For This Useful Post:
Interesting.

I tried this site again on a Windows 7 computer.
http://m.youtube.com/?app=m

It actually brings up the old mobile YouTube page from before and not the new Iphone weirdness one.

So I guess it's still there and it hasn't been removed just yet.

I wonder what User Agent is needed for our older tablets to have access to that page again....