Active Topics

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Pandora gave me the last two days of activity on my music account.

All 50 plus logs came from a static IP address.

Using Gerbick's link, it provided me with the following:

IP address state:
IP address city:
IP postcode:
IP address latitude:
IP address longitude:
ISP of this IP [?]:
Organization:
Host of this IP: [?]:

I entered in the latitude and longitude numbers through Google Maps and got a hit and it provided me with a street address.

After the address was given, there is an "156 ft NE" at the end of it.

Not quite sure what that means.

Is this enough to go on or is there anything more that I can look into here?

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Using Gerbick's link, it provided me with the following
I'm afraid that might be a relevant data or then again it might not. The positioning data and address data is only as valid as the ISP has seen fit to provide it.

Two examples;

1.) I entered an IP query for my domain server which is hosted by Nebula here in finland, and it gave coordinates that are agout 400km in general northern direction from where it should be. (Nebula has seemingly entered finland's midpoint coordinates there )

2.) I entered my home-DSL's IP address, and got much better match this time, it ws only 7 kilometers off. It is hosted by Elisa and apparently they have entered their DSLAM server room's coordinates to the database

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ Vilnius, Lithuania
Usually it's just a middle point in country/city where provider is located

So even if it gave me an exact street number and location, which is just a mile away from where I live, you're stating that address can't be fully trusted?

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ Vilnius, Lithuania
I wouldn't trust it, but who knows. There might be an AP with static IP address and known location due to A-GPS in Android and data is taken from that database.

So even if it gave me an exact street number and location, which is just a mile away from where I live, you're stating that address can't be fully trusted?
If you had the MAC address of your tablets WiFi card you could go around that location doing some sniffing (airodump) at the time the guy was streaming (check for usage patterns), but it is quite likely a wild goose chase

(then again maybe this ISP does register addresses, if you increase/decrease the last number from that IP address, do they show in this page same address or different?)

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
@nokiabot, if you had some email account configured on modest, it might be possible to get IP address if user booted at least once before flashing

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by iceskateclog View Post
I wouldn't trust it, but who knows. There might be an AP with static IP address and known location due to A-GPS in Android and data is taken from that database.
Scary, I just hit the big map option on ip-adress.com and they had me within a block - in fact, the arrow was right there on the corner of my property.

It does matter on the ISP though how accurate they are. Treat it as an approximate at all times the information that you get from there or anywhere in that matter.

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ culpeper,va.
remote install the tracing app, i think it a android tablet,
login from a pc go to the play store, find your device and send the app for installation then trace it.

Originally Posted by geektech View Post
remote install the tracing app, i think it a android tablet,
login from a pc go to the play store, find your device and send the app for installation then trace it.
I'm not exactly following you on this.

I did have Prey installed on the device but again, being stupid like I am, also had that manually disabled as well.

You're correct in that it is an Android device (Nexus 10).

So exactly what app are you referring to?