Posts: 283 | Thanked: 276 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ uk or @Pai,Mae Hong Son, Thailand
Well, here I am awaiting my neo900 and my last n900 (I have 4) has finally gone down with the 'All Telephony functions...' problem.
While I am waiting for my neo900 I am considering, hopefully short term replacement. I am totally ignorant of the smartphone market. Indeed, the only ones I have owned, or even handled have been n900's. But, I am an ex-systems programmer, experience in unix, linux etc...

What I am looking for is a phone that I can at least open a terminal on, write some scripts etc and log on to my servers via ssh and also do some port forwarding etc. Also run VLC media player is a must have. I guess I am looking at Android.

There should be something out there, I can even do that sort of stuff on my wife's Kindle!!

Experienced advice sought please.

Last edited by macey; 2015-08-09 at 16:12.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to macey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Jolla? Another N900?
Are all your N900's faulty with the same problem?

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 283 | Thanked: 276 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ uk or @Pai,Mae Hong Son, Thailand
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
Jolla? Another N900?
Are all your N900's faulty with the same problem?
two with same problem, one, which probably is Chinese copy, has some sort of memory problem and I have to keep re-flashing it. I gave up on it. Last one has a display problem I may be able to fix...
Can a Jolla device run an ssh server? Need to be able to log on to it & access via a proper keyboard..

The Following User Says Thank You to macey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Yes, Jolla has an SSH server, provided you enable the dev mode. Which requires a working WiFi connection.

It sounds like you may just swap the display from one of your "no telephony" units onto your "broken display" unit and you are good to go. Unless there is some other problem I am missing...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Yes, Jolla has an SSH server, provided you enable the dev mode. Which requires a working WiFi connection.

It sounds like you may just swap the display from one of your "no telephony" units onto your "broken display" unit and you are good to go. Unless there is some other problem I am missing...
Exactly my thoughts.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Just remembered, the broken display one is the one I have to keep re-flashing. I'm not sure it is just a broken display.. I am embarrassed to say that I actually trod on it. Anyway, I think it's time to look at other devices while I wait for my neo900. This Jolla interests me. Is it as hackable as the n900? I can do without the keyboard as long as I can log on to it...

The Following User Says Thank You to macey For This Useful Post:
As per ur basic requirements like shell and ssh ( excusing openness), chrooting debian or any *nix on android should be sufficient. It wont really allow much more device control but a working linux distro replacement on hand.

The Following User Says Thank You to insanelysexy For This Useful Post:
How about Blackberry Z10? Runs most Android apps so should be no problem.
I have one for sale for €100 ;-)
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
I have been playing with a Nexus 7 reflashed to Ubuntu, in theory it is possible to SSH in, though it is different in many ways than desktop Ubuntu.
Currently IMHO Ubuntu Touch on a reflashed ex-Android phone is a little less useful for power users than a N900 but that is mostly due to the immaturity of the OS ecosystem and the weird decisions to make the OS more 'phone'. I plan to get a Nexus 4 for my wife(basic smart phone user) in the near term to replace her N900.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
Currently IMHO Ubuntu Touch on a reflashed ex-Android phone is a little less useful for power users than a N900 but that is mostly due to the immaturity of the OS ecosystem and the weird decisions to make the OS more 'phone'.
This provides a view of what an advanced user plays with on the current Ubuntu Phone

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n900, phone