I wonder if every image will be the same (generic) or will be individually watermarked.

If latter, than it would be worse than android. Every device will be tied not only to your phone, but to your credit card number and name + address. And Jolla will keep this info somewhere. And it could be hacked or stolen.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Posts: 697 | Thanked: 1,980 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal
I've been watching stupid moves from Jolla but this one beats them all

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by meloferz View Post
Well, after more reading in the Jolla Blog James confirmed that Sailfish OS will not be downloaded for free, now the question is how much will be cost? 🤔https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4b6225e484.jpg

Enviado desde mi Xperia Z2 mediante Tapatalk
It makes sense that it's not free with exchange and alien dalvik for android support. I'm just curious how good it handles the android apps and the future support for upgrading (i.e. MM -> N -> O and so on). I'm not in the argument of "Go buy an android phone if you want android app" but the bottomline is to have essential apps to live on as daily driver device no matter it's for personal or business use. I'm forced to abandon BB10 to iOS because the ecosystem of B10 can't support for my business need.

I'm willing to pay for the premium for OS that is so optimized and required much less hardware resource to run smoothly on non-high-end device as long as user experience is good. But too bad that in reality most of the people would compare the hardware spec when it comes to price.

Last edited by bnwg; 2017-06-29 at 15:48.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bnwg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
I wonder if every image will be the same (generic) or will be individually watermarked.

If latter, than it would be worse than android. Every device will be tied not only to your phone, but to your credit card number and name + address. And Jolla will keep this info somewhere. And it could be hacked or stolen.
Wouldn't they just use the Jolla account to verify purchased images? Currently it's used for early adopter updates amongst other things (eg limited ed. TOH ambiences I think), so I guess it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for them to bring this into the loop.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
Wouldn't they just use the Jolla account to verify purchased images? Currently it's used for early adopter updates amongst other things (eg limited ed. TOH ambiences I think), so I guess it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for them to bring this into the loop.
So now we would have every device tied to Jolla account which has all our info? Just like Google.play account, only worse, cause it's mandatory. How nice.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 342 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by deutch1976 View Post
I've been watching stupid moves from Jolla but this one beats them all
How?

In my opinion this is the best news in a long time. I've been worried that they would have been forced to close the business several times.

My Jolla 1 is getting worse to use, screen is failing. I'm going to get an Xperia X. Happiness

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jukk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic

I think they could have a generic image and the "paid" stuff could be installed later from the store after some sort of activation/license code entry/whatever. I think it could more or less work out of the box (minus the activation bits) as it's already possible to install Android & Exchange support from the store.

BTW why you don't want different per-user images:
  • you need to store or generate sizeable per user image vs just storing a single generic image per device
  • harder to verify you image is not corrupt or maliciously modified, as you would need to provide & check checksums per user
  • all the privacy implications of tying personal details and device information together by the per-user image

Last edited by MartinK; 2017-06-29 at 17:33.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 118 | Thanked: 218 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ India
I know it's terribly off-topic, but what would happen if Jolla decides to officially support an existing port, say, the one to OPX? Would they be in breach of any law?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to meet.vino For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by meet.vino View Post
I know it's terribly off-topic, but what would happen if Jolla decides to officially support an existing port, say, the one to OPX? Would they be in breach of any law?
I uttered that concern before.
I dont think they do so using AOSP sources.
But,
Google have some requirements that must br met for example Android logo in a specific position.

I am, still, wondering about other propriatary stuff. For example WiFi binary blobs, Qualcomm blobs, modem abd bootloaders.
I hope not, but manufacturers are paying quite big licensing fees to Qualcomm.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
So now we would have every device tied to Jolla account which has all our info? Just like Google.play account, only worse, cause it's mandatory. How nice.
I hope they are IMEI based instead of tied to the account...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x