Notices

I thought I'll add my two cents to this thread, now that I've had the n900 for a few weeks. Consider, basically, the distinction between "Consumption" (Media, Web Browsing, Games), "Utility" (GPS, Flashlight), and "Production / Memory" (Text, photo, images, etc.) -- I was mostly drawn to the device because of the last factor.

So here are my picks for a beginner wanting to try something new:

VIM -- Yes, a glorified text editor, but basically the reason why (along with the hardware keyboard) why I bought -- or justified buying -- this device. The most amazingly useful scripting / text editor / personal wiki, etc. program in the world. I store everything I write in one text file, from essays, to bits from the web, to small scripts, etc. What's nice is that there is no real distinction between scripting / coding and data or writing.
I used to use a whole bunch of other programs, like Zim wiki, Maepad, etc. before I realized that Vim does everything. The killer tip for me was that "+Y Copies into the clipboard and "+P pastes from the clipboard.

Opera 11 -- MicroB is fine, but Opera 11 is that much faster and easier to use, despite there being a few bugs. I can use MicroB 100% of the time, I can use Opera 95% of the time but it's a far better experience, and I have MicroB around for the other 5%.

Wagic -- Amazing clone of magic the gathering that should not be legal and most likely technically isn't. Like everything else, takes some work to have working right, ie, so that it uses the card images.

MyPaint -- I don't actually have a reason to use this, but it is so incredibly cool for producing images that look painted, inked, or sketched. I'm honestly dying for a reason to use it (like maybe write somebody a hand-written email or something)

DropN900 -- For dropbox integration so all your files are backed up. Never worry about losing your device or corrupting your data again. Especially convenient if you want to try the weird dangerous stuff.
I've found that I NEED a convenient or automatic way to back up everything, otherwise I simply won't do it.

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup -- No one has a ported the newest version, so you have to use SSH to play the newest releases online. Kind of silly, because it's not really a multi-player game, but still worth it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to q335r49 For This Useful Post:
My list:

Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by q335r49 View Post
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup -- No one has a ported the newest version, so you have to use SSH to play the newest releases online. Kind of silly, because it's not really a multi-player game, but still worth it.
If you want an on-device roguelike, there's unnethack...

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

Banned | Posts: 695 | Thanked: 308 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ originally pakistan ,now in china
what abt medical apps?
bring some plz plz
plz... plz.. plz.. plz.. plz.. plz ..plz... plz ...plz.. plz..pl z ..plz

Last edited by prankster; 2011-04-27 at 18:19.

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
My list:

Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
Backup menu
indeed!!!!

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Athens / Greece
desktop+ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
9 desktops
BEST OF THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to kanavasp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Yes, 9 desktops (using Desktop+ to switch) and Bakupmenu are definitely programs that really improved my N900 beyond my expectations. I think Twimgo is getting close.

The most underappreciated great program out there is HiveMind, a very useful mind mapping program that improves constantly. I use it every day.

edit: and +1 for Vim and Opera, mentioned above.

Last edited by geneven; 2011-04-27 at 23:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 206 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ London
Bluemaemo!

The Following User Says Thank You to Prozac786 For This Useful Post:
In no particular order:
1. Portabase (I use it as a media database as well as a ding based dictionary)
2. Aard Dictionary (A very good offline wikipedia.The only thing that disturbes a little, is that it often asks to make an internet connection without apparent reason...but that probably can be tweaked)
3. Scout - no other way to search in Greek contacts
4. Ukeyboard
5. Calendar - home widget
6. Easylist - as a shopping list
7. maep (with preloaded Openstreetmaps from my Desktop Marble Globe)
8. GPS Recorder
9. FileBox (because the standard file manager is nearly unusable)
10. MidnightCommander (because sometimes you need something more powerful than FileBox)
11. leafpad (because I never learned to use vi)
12. Catorize (because I have installed way to many applications)
13. Brain party
14. Evince (because it supports bookmarks)
15. AlmostTI (because it is great)...unfortunatelly the SpeedcrunchPort for maemo has a strange keyboard layout.

Last edited by Nikos; 2011-05-10 at 12:26.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nikos For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 695 | Thanked: 308 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ originally pakistan ,now in china
must have apps could be MEDICAL APPLICATIONS for doctors especially ,but no official medical app for maemo 5..uhhh

Tags
applications, best apps, fremantle, list, maemo, maemo 5, most useful, recommended, superlative, top, top apps