Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I think Elop underestimated the number of good people Nokia will lose. Or worse, doesn't care. Going to be hard to rescue the Titannic without some good stewards...
Except, he is not saving the Titanic. He is bringing it down straight to the Tentacled One, just as promised.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
balmer as cthlulu ?

The Following User Says Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by fms View Post
Except, he is not saving the Titanic. He is bringing it down straight to the Tentacled One, just as promised.
True enough! Nokia: It's like First Mate Elop shouting, "ICEBERG, RIGHT AHEAD!" and Captain Balmer, instead of steering away, streers right for it shouting, "FULL STEAM AHEAD!"
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
Bah. I was listening to the Linux Action Show today on my Zen while trimming bushes. When they brought up that a Nokia employee was officially on medical leave but unofficially got smacked for refusing to stop promoting MeeGo because it was confusing people and making them believe Nokia wasn't fully behind forthcoming WP7 devices I cheered - and nearly chopped my arm off with the electric hedge trimmer. When I was sure my limbs were safe I thought about all of the people here who similarly couldn't let go and I had to check in. The guys at Linux Action Show also had this to say about MeeGo after having evaluated it (one host has an N900): "Reports say MeeGo isn't there yet, and honestly, our testing says that MeeGo isn't there yet." They also say that there doesn't seem to be anyone left at Nokia who champions MeeGo with enough power to make it happen and that this leaves Intel in sole charge of MeeGo and that Intel does not have a good history of being able to bring projects like this to fruition (Moblin). They wonder whether MeeGo will be ready by the time Intel's new chips are ready, and if it won't be whether Intel even needs MeeGo anymore. They also have a story about HP listing 10 reasons why geeks should love WebOS and unlike a ChromeOS list they came away very impressed. The host with the N900 concludes that if he could run WebOS on his N900 he'd be doing it in a heartbeat and even the host with an Android phone would love to run WebOS on his Android hardware. Lastly the summary for this episode includes the line "And why WebOS might be the MeeGo killer!"

There you have it. Even Linux Action Show seems ready to bury MeeGo and move on; so far it looks like WebOS might be its spiritual heir. Full root access? Native App support? Multitasking? Active development? Plans to place it on all HP devices and PCs? Actually ready and shipping? What's not to love?

Now while I'm anxiously awaiting the first Nokia WP7 devices (and the new WP7) there's also the first WebOS devices beginning to roll out. Very interesting developments coming in the months ahead (not likely to include a good, working Nokia N950). Elop's not getting distracted with MeeGo; he's remaining focused and determined and that's a good thing - along with not tolerating insubordination, second-guessing, mixed messages and divided attention among Nokia's employees. Elop probably has to employee a Taser device at times to keep Nokia employees from handing him memos about their ideas for a Symbian^4 or asking for a short seventeen year extension to finish MeeGo. :-) (Actually, that's not an impossible scenario - you can read about the 20+ year saga regarding GNU and its attempt to develop an OS kernel - they seem to switch tactics every few months just like MeeGo did. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurd)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to alcalde For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
Essentially they're saying he's sick. I don't trust nokia's pr, but making this up would be too tasteless even for them.
well they already lie about how they ditch android. i woulnd't be surprise.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by alcalde View Post
Bah. I was listening to the Linux Action Show today on my Zen while trimming bushes. When they brought up that a Nokia employee was officially on medical leave but unofficially got smacked for refusing to stop promoting MeeGo because it was confusing people and making them believe Nokia wasn't fully behind forthcoming WP7 devices I cheered - and nearly chopped my arm off with the electric hedge trimmer. When I was sure my limbs were safe I thought about all of the people here who similarly couldn't let go and I had to check in. The guys at Linux Action Show also had this to say about MeeGo after having evaluated it (one host has an N900): "Reports say MeeGo isn't there yet, and honestly, our testing says that MeeGo isn't there yet." They also say that there doesn't seem to be anyone left at Nokia who champions MeeGo with enough power to make it happen and that this leaves Intel in sole charge of MeeGo and that Intel does not have a good history of being able to bring projects like this to fruition (Moblin). They wonder whether MeeGo will be ready by the time Intel's new chips are ready, and if it won't be whether Intel even needs MeeGo anymore. They also have a story about HP listing 10 reasons why geeks should love WebOS and unlike a ChromeOS list they came away very impressed. The host with the N900 concludes that if he could run WebOS on his N900 he'd be doing it in a heartbeat and even the host with an Android phone would love to run WebOS on his Android hardware. Lastly the summary for this episode includes the line "And why WebOS might be the MeeGo killer!"

There you have it. Even Linux Action Show seems ready to bury MeeGo and move on; so far it looks like WebOS might be its spiritual heir. Full root access? Native App support? Multitasking? Active development? Plans to place it on all HP devices and PCs? Actually ready and shipping? What's not to love?

Now while I'm anxiously awaiting the first Nokia WP7 devices (and the new WP7) there's also the first WebOS devices beginning to roll out. Very interesting developments coming in the months ahead (not likely to include a good, working Nokia N950). Elop's not getting distracted with MeeGo; he's remaining focused and determined and that's a good thing - along with not tolerating insubordination, second-guessing, mixed messages and divided attention among Nokia's employees. Elop probably has to employee a Taser device at times to keep Nokia employees from handing him memos about their ideas for a Symbian^4 or asking for a short seventeen year extension to finish MeeGo. :-) (Actually, that's not an impossible scenario - you can read about the 20+ year saga regarding GNU and its attempt to develop an OS kernel - they seem to switch tactics every few months just like MeeGo did. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurd)
Glad to hear your arm lives to tell the story.

Unlike Hurd, MeeGo has been in production and its devices shipped since last year. Last year's focus are mainly pure MeeGo tablets, this year we've dual or even tri-OS tablets.

Not by Nokia, of course, but the snow ball will keep rolling.

P.S. For Asia pacific region only.

The Following User Says Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:
The problem with MeeGo is that it's not a user operating system. It's, afaiui, designed as a common base for device makers to build their system on. And of course the best we get to see is videos of actual end-user MeeGo devices...

The Following User Says Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Henri Holm, chief of Nokia's business in China, jumped to Rovio. He was at Nokia for 16 years. He will be in charge of the Angry Bird franchise in Asia.

Leaving like people left the ship on the picture above.
http://www.hs.fi/talous/artikkeli/Ki.../1135267661734

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
True enough! Nokia: It's like First Mate Elop shouting, "ICEBERG, RIGHT AHEAD!" and Captain Balmer, instead of steering away, streers right for it shouting, "FULL STEAM AHEAD!"
The Titanic actually sank because they steered away as this maneuver caused the ship to be damaged by the iceberg over its full length damaging several seperated chambers. Would they have hit the iceberg just full steam ahead then only the front chamber would have been damaged and the vessel would still have been able to float ...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Master of Gizmo For This Useful Post:

Tags
goodbye nokia, green elsewhere, iceberg, rich green