Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
vad säger du?!?
Nani? Ano... Wakarimasen??
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 249 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ United Kingdom
If the rules stated only Swedish residence are allowed to enter, or if they had said all future posts, tweets, blogs will have to be Swedish then it is fairly obvious I would not have entered.

As bad as the Google translate is, I am fairly confident that there was no mention of that in the original rules and the only requirement I could see was one had to be over 18.

They could have had a simple country check on the entry form to eliminate such a problem.

As for thousands of non Swedish entrants... Take a look at the top list, there are not even 10 Swedish people in the top list. Unless of course the top 10 list on the site is only a reflection of the real Top 10 list.

Fair enough they changed the rules, be it after the competition went live.
My Nokia N900 is my website, still up an running for the Maemo community. My Nokia N900 is upgraded to 21.2011.38-1Tmaemo1.1 ~ CSSU ready ~ Overclocked ~ Speed patched ~ Swappolube ~ was running 7 desktops ~ 270 apps and counting ~ Multi-Boot with Standard Kernel , Kernel Power 2.6.28.10power47 and NITDroid N12 "UMay".

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by MyNokiaN900 View Post
If the rules stated only Swedish residence are allowed to enter, or if they had said all future posts, tweets, blogs will have to be Swedish then it is fairly obvious I would not have entered.
are you serious? you didn't have alarm bells ringing when you had to use translator even for finding out which button to press when you want to apply for test pilot?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Oh cry me a river running into the Atlantic. Stop trying to victimise yourself. All you lost was introductory text of few dozen words and your Facebook friends clicking few buttons. And you knew from the start that it wasn’t a competition meant for you.

It’s clearly arranged by Nokia Sweden, in Swedish and the point is to get Swedish speaking people to blog about N9 in Swedish for the Swedish market. You knew this at the latest when after you Google translated the rules.

But here’s the homepage for Konsumentverket, just in case you want to file a complaint against Nokia. I’m not sure if they take complaints from overseas, but Swedish consumer law is also on the site. Just Google translate that as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 249 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ United Kingdom
are you serious? you didn't have alarm bells ringing when you had to use translator even for finding out which button to press when you want to apply for test pilot?
Yes, when I got home and went onto the site, and hit the translate button, of course there was a thought that it was meant for Swedish participants only, and there were quite a few people online Twitter asking the same question, but then isn't that what the rules of a competition are for? Clarification. They could have had a disclaimer, but they didn't.

I accept they changed the rules and good luck to everyone in Sweden who has entered. I would be happy to recommend anyone.
My Nokia N900 is my website, still up an running for the Maemo community. My Nokia N900 is upgraded to 21.2011.38-1Tmaemo1.1 ~ CSSU ready ~ Overclocked ~ Speed patched ~ Swappolube ~ was running 7 desktops ~ 270 apps and counting ~ Multi-Boot with Standard Kernel , Kernel Power 2.6.28.10power47 and NITDroid N12 "UMay".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MyNokiaN900 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MyNokiaN900 View Post
isn't that what the rules of a competition are for? Clarification. They could have had a disclaimer, but they didn't.
in scandinavia people don't need disclaimers to coffee mugs "warning: the content might burn if you spill it to your nuts, dip your finger in it, or it will hurt like hell if you try to shove the mug up to your ***, ...."

the rules are the legal part, the more important part is the point of the competition which was what? if you needed a translation software even to apply into the competition, how can you fill the point of the competition?
Google Custom Search

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
in scandinavia people don't need disclaimers to coffee mugs "warning: the content might burn if you spill it to your nuts, dip your finger in it, or it will hurt like hell if you try to shove the mug up to your as$, ...."
Spoken like a true Scandinavian!

The Following User Says Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
in scandinavia people don't need disclaimers to coffee mugs "warning: the content might burn if you spill it to your nuts, dip your finger in it, or it will hurt like hell if you try to shove the mug up to your ***, ...."
What the hell?? How else am I supposed to wake up with hot coffee then?? You don't actually expect me to actually DRINK this muddy bean-water, do you??

the rules are the legal part, the more important part is the point of the competition which was what? if you needed a translation software even to apply into the competition, how can you fill the point of the competition?
Maybe he wanted to get a live speech synthesizer to translate it for him... maybe drive around in his computer-chair like Stephen Hawking. Hell... even I wanna do that, now that I've thought it out!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
Spoken like a true Scandinavian!
actually I am not true scandinavian

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavia
Google Custom Search

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Oslo - around
Heck - if that was the issue, Nokia / MeeGo need all the help they can get. So, send me what you need documented and I will deliver it in Norwegian Neil.
BUT one problem Nokia has is handling media and "besserwissers on the loose" (such as "Strand Consulting Aps"). Instead of arguing that the rules are "unfair" you should just ask Nokia marketing to review your site and activity here, on Facebook and other places. Then bluntly ask them if you may review the N9 and compare this with N900 and with the help of friends on the net, try to port some of the Maemo and NITroid. You need to commit to review beyond Qt, and beyond developing in Qt.

You should also aproach the Nokia/UK marketing team. Nokia cannot expect that everyone will use Qt for applications development, but emulators are thhe Linux way - so why not emulate an iPhone?

Tags
n9 contest, xenophobia