Active Topics

This article is mainly conjecture, which goes like this:

"Nokia Windows Phone will first be offered in country X, Y and Z. Country X, Y and Z are not in the drop-down list for the N9. We don't think it would make sense for Nokia to sell two flagships in one country. Ergo: No N9 in country X, Y and Z."

The only information the author got he claims is from "two independent sources", of which one's credibility is the prediction of the Juli 21 release (but then, who didn't predict that?), so I guess the other source is even less credible. Then he also said that this source claims that as of today "Nokia itself isn't even sure about it yet".

Also, how would that be compatible with this?

http://www.journalism.co.uk/press-re...9/s66/a544877/

I highly doubt that Nokia is going to go around saying "sorry, you can't have it" to third party distributors or operators, though I wouldn't be surprised if they will focus their marketing on one or the other based on region.

Posts: 490 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hannover-Germany-EU-Earth
Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
This article is mainly conjecture, which goes like this:

"Nokia Windows Phone will first be offered in country X, Y and Z. Country X, Y and Z are not in the drop-down list for the N9. We don't think it would make sense for Nokia to sell two flagships in one country. Ergo: No N9 in country X, Y and Z."

The only information the author got he claims is from "two independent sources", of which one's credibility is the prediction of the Juli 21 release (but then, who didn't predict that?), so I guess the other source is even less credible. Then he also said that this source claims that as of today "Nokia itself isn't even sure about it yet".

Also, how would that be compatible with this?

http://www.journalism.co.uk/press-re...9/s66/a544877/

I highly doubt that Nokia is going to go around saying "sorry, you can't have it" to third party distributors or operators, though I wouldn't be surprised if they will focus their marketing on one or the other based on region.
that was the article i have searched for... thanks...

but we still have no confirmation that we will see the N9 in these countrys... so i still expect the worst...

Posts: 196 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Africa
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
but we still have no confirmation that we will see the N9 in these countrys... so i still expect the worst...
AFAIK, we don't have confirmation that we will see N9 anywhere except Sweden, so that is hardly a reason to expect the worst.

I would expect to see the N9 from all carriers who had the N900 (which doesn't necessarily help me, no carriers in South Africa offered it, but some service providers did it on carrier contracts).

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
we still have no confirmation that we will see the N9 in these countrys... so i still expect the worst...
So what's the worst? That Nokia won't sell it directly? Maybe that you'll get limited support?

Originally Posted by Oliver @ Mobiflip with an 'exclusive'
"Die Antwort ist eigentlich logisch"
Yeah, sure, but logical deduction isn't the same as fact (and on its own doesn't amount to journalism, either).

N900 was a grey market import for everyone living in Canada, but it didn't stop people enjoying it. Worry less and look forward to the N9, despite Nokia's apparent inability to make the most of the [non-WP] opportunities in front of it.

Originally Posted by buchanmilne View Post
AFAIK, we don't have confirmation that we will see N9 anywhere except Sweden, so that is hardly a reason to expect the worst.
Agreed. N8 availability picture took a while to become clear, if memory serves (not that I was waiting to buy one, but still).

Originally Posted by buchanmilne View Post
I would expect to see the N9 from all carriers who had the N900 (which doesn't necessarily help me, no carriers in South Africa offered it, but some service providers did it on carrier contracts).
Why do you have to buy your phone from your carrier? Aren't there SIM-only contracts in SA?

Last edited by shallimus; 2011-06-29 at 13:17.

it would be very bad if the N9 will not -officially- be sold in the listed european countrys because its possible that it will be the only phone with meego/harmattan for the next time... though i dont think that they will do it that way

@Brock: greetings to you as a almost-neighbour (im from Göttingen...)

Posts: 490 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hannover-Germany-EU-Earth
Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
So what's the worst? That Nokia won't sell it directly? Maybe that you'll get limited support?

N900 was a grey market import for everyone living in Canada, but it didn't stop people enjoying it. Worry less and look forward to the N9, despite Nokia's apparent inability to make the most of the [non-WP] opportunities in front of it.

Agreed. N8 availability picture took a while to become clear, if memory serves (not that I was waiting to buy one, but still).

Why do you have to buy your phone from your carrier? Aren't there SIM-only contracts in SA?
The problem for me is that i dont know at the moment, how i can get the device from inside germany. eg if its available at amazon.de (without contract) it would be enough and i get the 2year warranty, same for the n900 in dec last year (and i remember a little that the availablility list of n900 wasnt finished at the beginning either )

@Frickelson: schöne Grüße zurück aus Garbsen

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
The problem for me is that i dont know at the moment, how i can get the device from inside germany. eg if its available at amazon.de (without contract) it would be enough and i get the 2year warranty, same for the n900 in dec last year (and i remember a little that the availablility list of n900 wasnt finished at the beginning either )

@Frickelson: schöne Grüße zurück aus Garbsen
if the n9 won’t be sold in germany then you ca buy it from austria! you still have got warranty on that device within europe.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zymo For This Useful Post:
cmon, be serious, we all know that the n950 wont be sold in any way, so stop rumoring, someone else could believe you
Because your info comes from an official source. Oh wait.....

N9 will be available in those countries just like all other nokia phones.

Who can you believe about all this?

TBH, You're better off waiting to see what other manufacturers will do with MeeGo rather than wait for Nokia/MS to come clean and tell us what the colour of the sky is.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Very soon, Nokia won't be selling any phones at all in the UK. They plan the same in other developed, competitive markets.

Nokia not selling phones directly in a market does not necessarily equal Nokia phones not being available for sale in that market.
Nokia's own store has never meant anything.
They are overpriced netstores not even directly operated by Nokia. Even in countries where Nokia sells, like Finland they are shutting the store down, while the just as overpriced Nokia flagship store stays because of the Russian tourists.

Though i have to say i could see Nokia not selling N9 in countries like UK, mainly because of WP. But then if N900 was selling almost everywhere in a way or another i'm sure N9 will find it's way somehow while that might not be a carrier.