Active Topics

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I find it disturbing when an innocent word, moreover clearly used in an ironic context, is seen as an insult.
I don't see any irony in HtheB's post. Maybe I'm just reading it wrong, in which case I'd like to apologize, but this post, as it stands, seems totally serious to me.

Please notice that the freedom of choice goes both ways. In this case, the choice of an OS was made by the GPD team,
Which is why I'm merely stating that I'd find their device interesting IF I could get it without a Windows licence.
I'm not demanding, I'm not complaining.

The same goes for bundled features, BTW. If my local corner shop decided to throw in a pocket calculator with every kilo of apples I buy there, it is their damn choice and any stationery shop selling calculators has no right to complain. It is my choice if I use it or throw it away. In the same way, if an OS producer decides to bundle a browser, a text processor or a rocket launcher in their OS, it is their choice. Any whining about "monopoly" is just that, whining.
Your comparison doesn't work.
Your corner shop won't force that calculator on you, which you refuse to take just to throw it away because you don't want to pollute the environment needlessly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
The problem with this is, that MS still counts this as a Windows licence being sold, regardless of whether I accept or decline the EULA.
The way I see it, if they count something I did not pay for as "sold" then yes, it is a problem. But theirs, not mine.

I would just to put it on the record that I admire your moral integrity. And I envy you that you can afford to live by your ideology. I can't. I have kids to feed and a mortgage to pay. I have targets to deliver. I have to be more pragmatic about things.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I can't share this concern nor worry. Especially since the metrics for this is based in the millions and unfortunately the few that think as such make up not even a percent. Sad case, more should care - but I choose apathy.
Those millions you're speaking of is nothing else than the sum of a lot of single people. I chose not to be one of them. Feel free to make a different choice!

I remember back in 2010 - the process was not hard. You just had to ask for a Dell with the FreeDOS option (available since 2006 or so) and then your equipment would be registered differently in their system. That's how I did it when I was still doing global IT for a Fortune 500 company.
When I tried the same thing with one device Dell told me, that there is no option in their software to unbundle the Windows license from the machine. They even offered me a discount for swallowing the licence, which I refused.
The case was settled at this point for me, but a week later the sales person got back to me, told me that he went to his superior who was somehow able to cheat the software.
In the end I got a device with FreeDOS and a hungarian Windows license on my bill, which wasn't shipped because it wasn't available in Germany.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
I didn't want to really participate in this stupid dinosaur discussion (*), but...

And I envy you that you can afford to live by your ideology. I can't. I have kids to feed and a mortgage to pay. I have targets to deliver. I have to be more pragmatic about things.
..... *rolls eyes*

* I consider the discussion irrelevant because:
- Dinosaurism: MS is dead, get over it
- Did anyone check whether they actually plan to ship a Windows license? As Gerbick said, they're chinese manufacturers. They're either receiving money from MS, or they'll probably 'don't care' about licensing.

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
The way I see it, if they count something I did not pay for as "sold" then yes, it is a problem. But theirs, not mine.
It becomes my problem if they use their false numbers to "prove" that people don't want anything else anyway, which in turn makes them limit my choices even further by using their market position.

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
As Gerbick said, they're chinese manufacturers. They're either receiving money from MS, or they'll probably 'don't care' about licensing.
If they just don't care about the licenses and include them without Microsoft's consent I'd want to know, because rejecting these licenses out of principle on one hand and turning a blind eye on license violation on the other would make me a hypocrite.

The Following User Says Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
Those millions you're speaking of is nothing else than the sum of a lot of single people. I chose not to be one of them. Feel free to make a different choice!
Sorry, but I will not fight this kind of fight. It's not in my personal interest since I have readily accepted that my wants/needs/perspective is a minority. And thus, my impact is minimal until it no longer is minimal. My decisions to back Maemo, MeeGo, even Sailfish all support that I've decided to support projects that have (very) low sales but coincide with my wants/needs that mirror yours in some points.

Simply stated: you have your choices, I have my own. I'm not imposing my choices on yours. Please do not do impose your choices on me. And to be clear, I do not think that you are imposing your choices on me whatsoever.

When I tried the same thing with one device Dell told me, that there is no option in their software to unbundle the Windows license from the machine. They even offered me a discount for swallowing the licence, which I refused.
I fear that you got a lesser trained person than I would have dealt with, especially in that regard.

In the end I got a device with FreeDOS and a hungarian Windows license on my bill, which wasn't shipped because it wasn't available in Germany.
Oh, you're in Germany? I'm in the US. Perhaps there is a sales difference and/or options difference but I'm quite sure FreeDOS was an option while I still lived in Kreuzberg (also Bamberg and Schwieberdingen). I won't say "try again" - I will ask though... what are your current options and does anybody else (manufacturer) fit your needs?

Again... not being dismissive; I do wish you luck on your endeavors.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Lads, lads, LADS! Serenity now.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
Lads, lads, LADS! Serenity now.
Nope. After we battle over EULA's... up next will be distros, then kernels and finally the blood bath over which shell and text editor reigns supreme.

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Nope. After we battle over EULA's... up next will be distros, then kernels and finally the blood bath over which shell and text editor reigns supreme.

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!
My reading lists,
after I began to recognize the difference
between various personality disorders populating my social life,
has devolved to things like lists of old friends,
forgotten (Horrible) Bosses, and coyote morning escape therapy.
(Yes, I avoid rooms populated with mirrors.)

Anyways, keep going - we are still some distance from the Godwin Event Horizon.

As for Microsoft,
the day approaches when we will hear about a data breach
exposing squillions of user passwords,
all because the Win10 phone-the-mothership plan will get hacked.
After that their marketshare may no longer be dominant.

Now - back on topic:

The advertised release date for the GPD is October/November?
such a huge distance it is hard to justify getting too excited about.
In any case, that becomes
What's the best Handheld gnu/linux machine for 2017?

Our only real hope is that something in a pipeline pops up
like http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ghlight=ubuntu

BTW, the best text editor is the one that comes with mc:
mcedit
leaves both vi and emacs eating dust.

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by theonelaw View Post
A reply to my query arrived from a GPD source,
just waiting for permission to pass it along.
I asked

Regarding the indiegogo project:
( https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/a...ur-pocket--2#/ )

The form factor and other bits have gotten some attention over at TMO
( http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=158 )

Whether to buy into this hinges on whether the firmware will be locked to Win10
or can we (independently and assuming no further warranty etc) install a linux system ?

If it is locked into being a WIndows machine then it is outside the scope of our search,
but
if it will be possible to install (from a usb disk or whatever) something like Debian
or some other actual linux distro this would raise a lot of interest.
There are quite a few of us who are still searching for a machine of this calibre
in the form factor your project advertises. Some of us have already spent quite
significant resources in the search for something of this nature..

Just asking, thanks for your reading time

and the reply:

Thanks so much for your kind concerns for GPD WIN.The system is not locked.you can install a linux system as long as you want and you can.And thanks so much for sharing this excited new and help us to let now people know this good device!!really thinks!!

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:

Tags
f*ck apple, f*ck google, f*ck microsoft, gnu telephony, gnu/linux, linux deploy