Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Edit: I wonder what the "L" and "R" things are in this picture? Does the Pandora come with built-in earphones? That would be really nice...
I would guess that they're shoulder buttons. Many game systems use shoulder buttons as an input, so a device made for game emulation would probably include them. The PSX uses four shoulder buttons, so the limit of only two shoulder buttons on the device is puzzling.

}:^j~
YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

It's been discussed, and the vast majority of PS1 games make very, very little use of the L2 and R2 buttons. It was basically a non-issue. I would have liked to see six face buttons, but it looks like it will be four. I understand why, but I still like six button configurations over four.

I edited my last post to respond to your previous post, FYI.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
I would guess that they're shoulder buttons. Many game systems use shoulder buttons as an input, so a device made for game emulation would probably include them. The PSX uses four shoulder buttons, so the limit of only two shoulder buttons on the device is puzzling.

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt
Yeah, pro'lly shoulder buttons. Too bad, for once I thought a designer had actually had a good idea...

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Let's all not forget the one big plus the Pandora has over the Nokias: It has a frakking name!

No more wasted hours thinking up what to name the thing. Pure genius!

I think the keypad is great.

1) The space would otherwise be unused.
2) The keypad makes it easy to perform certain functions (surfing the web, configuration, shell) possible without obscuring screen contents.
3) It allows for emulation of different types of games (old pc games -- kings quest, commodore games, etc) without crazy interface work-arounds, or add-on hardware.
4) This is at heart a hacker device. Not including a keypad (for shell access, remote access, script generation, etc) that could easily be included, would be an unnecessary handicap.

I'd LOVE bluetooth in this device. It opens it up to many different hardware combinations and extends its usefulness tremendously. IMO the argument of including bluetooth would be similar to the argument of including Mini-USB.

Also, USB charging would eliminate a hole in the device, which could be a secondary USB port.

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

Originally Posted by LordFu View Post
Those are shoulder buttons for games that require them (PS1, etc.).

I think the keyboard is redundant, with the touchscreen and USB host, but with Amiga, Commadore (sp?), and some other commonly emulated systems it's a highly requested feature.

They're still finalizing the design, so if anyone has any suggestions, hop on over to gp32x.com.

The device is coming, first part of next year. It's technically vaporware, at the moment, but as someone who's been active in that community, the development is real. I have every expectation that we will see production and commercial availability in the first half of '08.

Bluetooth will be available via a USB dongle, if so desired. I've never used it for anything, but I know some people feel it's important.

As for the keyboard layout, it could use some tweaking. Please, let them know what you think.

It's worth mentioning that the Pandora is going to be signifigantly more powerfull than the N8x0 series. It's using a newer design of similar hardware.
Wow! You're fast... I think I'll take you up on your idea and contribute to the Pandora forum. It's going take some time to read the many pages already.

In fact, I may contribute with some design renderings of my own...

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

Let's all not forget the one big plus the Pandora has over the Nokias: It has a frakking name!

No more wasted hours thinking up what to name the thing. Pure genius!
True say! Seriously, the name is distinct and when branded correctly will not confuse as to the devices purpose.

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
LordFu,

I wonder what sorts of non-game software it will have... anything lined up?

productivity stuff?
PIM stuff?
connectivity stuff (ssh, vnc, etc.)?
communications stuff (instant messengers)?

I think it might have been cool to see it done as a trifold (so that the keyboard isn't so close to the game controls, looks like you could accidentally type keys while playing with the analog sticks)... or as a twist screen (to use it as a tablet). But it does look like a nice design as it is.
Well, whatever people are willing to port or design themselves will be available. I don't mean to be vague, but the sky is really the limit, I think.

They're talking about trying to stay compatible with the Debian arm-el (sp?) .deb's, which would make a lot of stuff available without any work. They've got some real linux gurus over there. Some of these guys coded a new GP2X firmware from scratch, which I consider pretty impressive.

Some people have suggested porting Maemo, which I think is a great idea, as I'm pretty fond of Maemo, myself. I think a KDE port is pretty likely, too. I'm really looking forward to what the community can come up with. There are some seriously talented guys in the community.

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Wow! You're fast... I think I'll take you up on your idea and contribute to the Pandora forum. It's going take some time to read the many pages already.

In fact, I may contribute with some design renderings of my own...

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt
Whaddayamean: "Reading up"? Nobody needs to read up on fora, danggit! Just ask any question that pops up into your noggin.

Oh, and don't forget to whine incessantly if someone suggests it might be more productive if you used the search function first.

(Seriously: I think I might follow you in there. This is some rad vapourware. I think I'm in love again <snif!>)

Whaddayamean: "Reading up"? Nobody needs to read up on fora, danggit! Just ask any question that pops up into your noggin.

Oh, and don't forget to whine incessantly if someone suggests it might be more productive if you used the search function first.

Haha.. I don't know *what* I was thinking!

In other news....

I just found out there are bluetooth SD devices on the market. Though most of the are discontinued, if supported, will provide a wireless option for external devices. I'd love to use Pandora as a mobile voip device, and it looks as though this will be possible.

Yes, I too am in love again!

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt