Notices

Posts: 141 | Thanked: 417 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by NoGeist View Post
Great app!

Is there a way to minimize the children in the comment section? If not, a longpress on the parent would be great or if it could be added to the actions when clicking the parent one time (upvote, downvote etc.)

I'd like that there would be a cover action to refresh the current page and it would open that page.

Another suggestion would be, that you could swipe right and get to the section or subreddits, as someone else suggested earlier.
Collapsing children comments is on my todo list but it will take some time to implement. Cover action too.

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Like the horizontal swipe menus in IRC would work great
Swiping left and right gesture is reserved for navigating forward or backward from page to page, so this is not a good design for Silica app.

On the other news, reddit recently has some minor changes and unfortunately this break some of the code in Quickddit, which causes you have to re-login everytime starting the app. I will release a fix very soon.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dicksonleong8 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dicksonleong8 View Post
Swiping left and right gesture is reserved for navigating forward or backward from page to page, so this is not a good design for Silica app.
There is nowhere backwards/right to navigate from main screen, subreddits in pulley-right menu would make if not silica sense a lot of usability sense

I'm with szopin in this one. I think it would be by far easiest way to browse subreddits, however if you dont like the idea, so be it.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Sorry for being offtopic here, but what's in the IRC client (great app otherwise) are no horizontal puley menus. Nothing can be selected in them by pulling; it's just an overlay that mimics the look of pulley menus, which is quite confusing (maybe it's just me, but having every side of the screen glowing doesn't sound very intuitive).

The exact same behavior could be done by having pages left and right of the current view. The same applies to this reddit client. I'm with dicksonleong8 here.

Why break the silica logic, when you can achieve tthe same thing better using the current guidelines...

Last edited by nodevel; 2014-02-11 at 11:30.

Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
Sorry for being offtopic here, but what's in the IRC client (great app otherwise) are no horizontal puley menus. Nothing can be selected in them by pulling; it's just an overlay that mimics the look of pulley menus, which is quite confusing (maybe it's just me, but having every side of the screen glowing doesn't sound very intuitive).
Yeah, they don't 'click' but I've been successfully selecting which irc channel to join/switch to, which person to msg etc, for a long list of choices it is much better/easier to use than pulley way (or maybe my thumb is too short)

Why break the silica logic, when you can achieve tthe same thing better using the current guidelines...
Exactly because current guidelines do not offer anything else than pulley to select a menu option where you have extra click to select for long lists, why if IRC guys introduced a cool way to interact with long lists?
(I guess swipe left for page with subreddits would be ok with guidelines and have exactly the same functionality, except silica dot to indicate that you can go right and not the highlighted side, you're not navigating inwards without selecting anything anyway)

extra edit just to end my rant: silica guidelines are ok for mobile apps with few choices, try to implement silica/pulleys for QT Creator/Transmission/GIMP, with many choices pulley just sucks or needs workaround to hide all settings under a few choices, for often used options that just doesn't work, just imagine chatting with few people on IRC at the same time having to pulley each time to select 'msg' then to select the guy, not only does the left/right pulley give you info who msged you with colour but removes all that burden (and then add chatting on few channels, SW keyboard is a pain already, but I've been using IRC normally/dektop-like on N900 and with HWKB I expect the same from Jolla) /rant

Last edited by szopin; 2014-02-11 at 11:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
I don't understand why you say it breaks the UI. In sailfish, apps consist of main screen, and other screens that are on the right side, navigated forward by clicking and going back by swiping. There is no action for swiping "back" in first/main screen, or other side in the last screen.
Filling that "empty" slot with having an easily scrollable list or useful items, such as channels in irc or subs in reddit seems really clever and intuitive for me. Whole concept of pulley menus is brilliant so why not extend it for browsing long lists instead of having them in a separate and awkwardlooking page?

Posts: 141 | Thanked: 417 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Malaysia
I think you are talking about 2 different design: one is exactly like the IRC one, which is basically a horizontal pulley menu. Another one is new page by swiping left (as suggested by mikecomputing), indicate by the extra dot at the top left (we call this an "attached page"). The first one is not a good design and violating the UI logic of Sailfish app, while the second one is a perfectly good design.

I'm not able to implement the "attached page" design yet because it is not working properly in emulator (hopefully will be fix in next SDK update). I will try to improve the design so that user can access subreddits much easier, but the horizontal pulley menu is a no go.

Finally, I releasing 0.3.1 for fixing the login bug, with some minor bugs fix and improvements. As usual, update from OpenRepos and changelog from GitHub.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dicksonleong8 For This Useful Post:
I understand your point, but disagree with it. For my understanding, apps in sailfish aren't supposed to have any pages to the left while starting it. Either way, as I said Im just stating my opinion and not trying to push anything. However, I really like the menus in irc and think they fit sailfish perfectly, and should be a part of the standard UI.

e: Great that you have fixed the login issue!

Last edited by parasemic; 2014-02-11 at 13:16.

w00t is willing to helpbon the qt/qml bug with pics:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=492

If a vertical "pulley" isnt an option, id like to see a few subreddits pinnable in the main pulley