Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
Might be better for the app to have "desktops" ? you can swipe between views?

i.e.

Home screen with "links" to the other views

view 1. playlist/multitrack view
- arrange patterns
- create song arrangement

view 2. sequencer
- load samples
- pencil in steps
- press for instrument settings (i.e. attack/hold/decay/echo/pitch/pan etc)
- press & hold for piano roll

view 3. mixer
- compressor
- multiband eq
- couple other plug ins
- 24 channel mixer?

Let's do this, I am so down. Let's hunt for some developers and get this going. Whats the next step?

Originally Posted by joshua.maverick View Post

i.e.

- arrange patterns

view 2. sequencer
- load samples
- pencil in steps

view 3. mixer
- compressor
- multiband eq
- couple other plug ins
- 24 channel mixer?

Let's do this, I am so down. Let's hunt for some developers and get this going. Whats the next step?
On a side note... would it be possible to create a wifi pressure/velocity sensitive mpc/midi controller app :| :|??!

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
I understood what you meant, but perhaps the user is walking around to get a cup of coffee, or putting the machine down to drink a sip of coffee, or changes the angle she is sitting.

It is difficult to combine the accuracy of the accelerometer to be used for interaction with the screen. Especially for serious work like composing where you want top notch usability. The accelerometer precision may be useful in some games but not in this particular case. Seriously, this doesn't work.

I can already imagine the desktop being drunk from a user who is quitting smoking hahaha . What may work is if you make it less accurate (sensitive), and only tilt to a full next screen after e.g. a 30 degrees tilt. After that, the device must be kept straight again in order to switch again to another direction. This way of interacting may be feasible in situations where you can really not use the touchscreen to navigate. If that is the case here I leave up for debate.

BTW, one application for iPhone OS has the synthesizers above each other, you can browse up and down for different synthesizers but there are not many and they are connected in a static way. However you can navigate only '50%' so you get a different combination you are able to modify, and that is 1) pretty cool 2) not possible, or rather difficult, in my proposal.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands

i.e.

- arrange patterns

view 2. sequencer
- load samples
- pencil in steps

view 3. mixer
- compressor
- multiband eq
- couple other plug ins
- 24 channel mixer?

You still don't have any software (or hardware) synthesizers so you're just putting it all together. If you are composing music, you're gonna need MIDI, instruments, hardware synths, or software synths (usually VST; in Linux LADSPA or LV2)

Without that you have no idea which samples you're going to use. It may very well be the case you're gonna switch back and forth between composing with instruments and sequencing, while your sequencer doesn't speak MIDI. It is also best to do the mastering in the sequencer instead of in a WAV editor.

Why burden yourself with such pain? Why not simply use a device meant for this usage? You can run Fruity Loops on a Windows XP netbook/laptop (probably with USB and some other hardware), and it'll run much better than what we imagine.

Given the state of Linux audio development I won't hold my breath for this kind of application. There are not many people who will develop this open source.

While touch screens can be used to audio development there are much, much cooler and useful aspects. Like this one: Reactable.

However if you're determined I recommend to first take a look at the current applications and see if there are possibilities to port them over. It'll probably be easy to port them to Linux/ARM (Maemo), as they are already ported by the Debian project, but getting them to work well with the touchscreen interface with 800x480 in a usable manner will be a very difficult, daunting task because you're gonna give the whole interface a major face lift.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
This would be biggg, I make and sell hip hop instrumentals that I produce with FL Studio 9. Something like this would be BOOM. If we have some developers available, I offer to design the whole thing.

@christexaport, I'm glad your "chapelle/kanye" "soulsearching" is over dude, glad to see you back, did you hear the official portrait announcement? Looks like your lobbying paid off.
Symbian has an app called Syntrax that had a small following, so its possible to do something like he wants. I'm an MPC/MV8800, vinyl, and Triton/Oasys/Fantom kind of guy myself, though. Soft synths aren't my swag anymore.

I'm a producer myself, joshua.maverick. I'm all about the backpacker sound, if that means anything to you. Maybe we can do some mashing together one day. I've been at this 9 years, but I do it for the love. Spent over $160k on gear during my thuggish hustling days, but now my needs are simpler.

I think anything like this would need a more simple and compact UI, so maybe study MachFive as a model. It has access to all of the features of FL with a much better interface for at-a-glance usage. Its used for live setups sometimes.

As for my "chappelle/Kanye" issues, I'm bipolar, and I've been struggling this month. Personal issues, family probs, etc. I'm back, though. Had to get my mental health back in order. I'm good, and thanks for noticing my return. I knew ASR and portrait were gonna be needed. I'm actually pretty knowledgeable about mobiles. Just had a hard time communicating suffering from mania for a week straight. Sleep is something most take for granted. I'd had probably ten hours that entire week. Its hard sometimes.

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
You still don't have any software (or hardware) synthesizers so you're just putting it all together. If you are composing music, you're gonna need MIDI, instruments, hardware synths, or software synths (usually VST; in Linux LADSPA or LV2)

Without that you have no idea which samples you're going to use. It may very well be the case you're gonna switch back and forth between composing with instruments and sequencing, while your sequencer doesn't speak MIDI. It is also best to do the mastering in the sequencer instead of in a WAV editor.

Why burden yourself with such pain? Why not simply use a device meant for this usage? You can run Fruity Loops on a Windows XP netbook/laptop (probably with USB and some other hardware), and it'll run much better than what we imagine.

Given the state of Linux audio development I won't hold my breath for this kind of application. There are not many people who will develop this open source.

While touch screens can be used to audio development there are much, much cooler and useful aspects. Like this one: Reactable.

However if you're determined I recommend to first take a look at the current applications and see if there are possibilities to port them over. It'll probably be easy to port them to Linux/ARM (Maemo), as they are already ported by the Debian project, but getting them to work well with the touchscreen interface with 800x480 in a usable manner will be a very difficult, daunting task because you're gonna give the whole interface a major face lift.
Hey I don't think CrusherOfDreams was taken, you should see if you can rename yourself to that. lol

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joshua.maverick For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post

I SO agree. Without some sort of velocity sensing peripheral, maybe via bluetooth, the application willl be more for button pushing production, which is why I abandoned FL and Reason at least 8 years ago. Audio production is mostly good for x86, not ARM.

What I'd like to see is something like Celemony Melodyne for audio stretching, which is my favorite tool of choice, and could be more useful on a mobile.

Maybe the Syntrax guys will port to Maemo. It was pretty good. Here's their site.
http://www.finished.nl/

and allnameswereout, FL has its own synths, too. But I think a more simple app to edit waves and mp3, add effects, and sequence would be better than a ported step sequencer.

The Following User Says Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
and allnameswereout, FL has its own synths, too. But I think a more simple app to edit waves and mp3, add effects, and sequence would be better than a ported step sequencer.
My buddy showed me an app on his iP*one (its a curse word to me), that actually had some decent features. I want to be able to bang out some quick beats when we're all kicking free's. Sample based sequencer with a wave editor would be perfect for me. Where I can chop up an mp3 of a sample, pitch/crop and sequence along with some drums.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joshua.maverick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 15 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Dactar View Post
FL Studio in a linux world = LMMS ( http://lmms.sourceforge.net )

Now running lmms on an N900 is another story
I see that LMMS runs already on older tablets here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=31583

Tags
audio, fl studio