Active Topics

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Germany
Yes thats clears thing out quite nicely and I'm even more disappointed.

In fact I know now that I spend 400 bucks on a device which is hardly useable as an development unit for fun hacking. No factory images is a nogo for me and I'm evaluating right now if I won't sell the whole thing on ebay after christmas.

Perhaps you should've disclosed this information earlier. I'm really disappointed now and feel a bit ripped of because I asked this question several times and haven't got an answer until now.

But I think the 400 bucks from customers looked so nice you wouldn't bother telling the whole truth.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djselbeck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by djselbeck View Post
Yes thats clears thing out quite nicely and I'm even more disappointed.

In fact I know now that I spend 400 bucks on a device which is hardly useable as an development unit for fun hacking. No factory images is a nogo for me and I'm evaluating right now if I won't sell the whole thing on ebay after christmas.
There's nothing whatsoever stopping you from writing the whole 'sailfish', 'boot', 'recovery' and other GPT partitions onto microSD and making a recovery image that'll restore those from a microSD card onto the main eMMC. Classic device hacking.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
I've already backed most of them up, but at the moment I cannot back up a running/changing volume like / , can I?

I've already backed most of them up, but at the moment I cannot back up a running/changing volume like / , can I?
Fair, the way I typically do it is to write a recovery with a kernel with initrd with USB networking up, telnetd -l /bin/sh, back up from there, restore from there too.

Nothing is in recovery atm anyway.

All this is hacking advice and my personal opinion.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Alright, I give it a try over the next days. So just to be clear and not waste 400 bucks fastboot oem unlock; fastboot flash recovery somerecovery.img won't do any harm?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djselbeck For This Useful Post:
rainisto: DRM means any kind of taking away control from the user by means of obscurity, closed encryption and so on. Locked / encrypted bootloader with no way to set your own keys or unlock it is a perfect example of DRM. That's the way I understand the term. Preventing copying media files is just one example of it.

Protecting data and security with encryption is perfectly fine, as far as the user is in control of that protection. If user isn't - that's already DRM.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-12-20 at 18:15.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Alright, I give it a try over the next days. So just to be clear and not waste 400 bucks fastboot oem unlock; fastboot flash recovery somerecovery.img won't do any harm?
Avoid oem unlock if possible. Stick to developer mode/root capabilities, should be enough.

Ok, and without unlock I can boot custom recovery?

Ok, and without unlock I can boot custom recovery?
AFAIK - if it doesn't work, lemme know.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Thanks for your help, this was very supporting. I will see what I can do . If I can create my own recovery images I would be perfectly pleased

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to djselbeck For This Useful Post: