Closed Thread
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
I will add that i hold no malice whatsoever to anyone including Qgil, stskeeps that have tried in vain to accomplish something with good intentions that got dogged down by the stupidity of Nokia.

I only wish it could have been different for everyone and i only ever wanted what was right to have for development from day one and that is open source FOSS development.

The current council could actually do something here IF they go in the right direction.... go at Nokia for the right of development and get them to approach all 3rd parties to get the release of everything that is needed for this community.

Now is the right time for that as we all know the situation regarding Nokia but no doubt once again i am talking to deaf ears.

Remember... nothing ventured nothing gained.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Abill_UK's hostile, trolling post was deleted. That sort of thing has gone far beyond an acceptable point.

Maemo.org encourages constructive dialog of all kinds-- emphasis on constructive. And yes that includes harsh criticism. But not when it gets personal. Not when it's repeated ad infinitum.

Let's be civil, or take it to a site that thrives on childish behavior.
YOU are a complete JOKE mr texrat so enjoy the pleasures of your moderating because i am sure many are laughing at you and same goes for your partner mr chemist.

When this community don't exist no more you can both ask yourself, could it have been any different ? could i have done better ?.

Have fun all, it was fun sometimes.

Last edited by chemist; 2012-07-05 at 09:37.

This site is full of fanboys. You can't reason with fanboys, fanboyism is as per def not based on reason. Nokia has never given a rats *** for open source. Open source was just an experiment to see if they somehow could use it to get the upper hand. An experiment that went awfully wrong with the Symbian foundation, and an experiment that didn't quite cut it with Maemo.

Look at the N9. It is based on oss, but is more closed than any Symbian phone. The whole UX is closed source. If Nokia was for oss, they would at least make the UX open source. Who has been in charge of this? Otiris has. Yet he is hailed as one of the big guys on open source on this site. It's funny really. He has dine a great job with the N9, but lets be honest.

IMO the one true hero of open source somehow connected with Nokia, is stskeeps.

Myself, I'm more pragmatic. The true test is whatever works. Open source or closed source? Who cares. The Lumia 800 has a way better browser than the N9. Android is way more open source than Harmattan.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to specc For This Useful Post:
The fanboys have been dealt a hard lesson by Nokia but i would say for sure there are more people by the day leaving Nokia now for better devices.

As for stskeeps i cant help but feel sorry for him because i think if there was any way to get true open source out of shitt Nokia he would have found it, so yes i agree with you he could have gone a lot lot further if not for Nokia.... i have argued with him no end but i still respect him and his views.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by specc View Post
IMO the one true hero of open source somehow connected with Nokia, is stskeeps.

Myself, I'm more pragmatic. The true test is whatever works. Open source or closed source? Who cares. The Lumia 800 has a way better browser than the N9. Android is way more open source than Harmattan.
Frankly speaking though, while it seems like Quim is the bad guy when talking about things that can't be done or open sourced, you'd be surprised how much he has orchestrated in order to do good things for open source in Nokia. The trouble is that sometimes the best things you've done is things you can't talk about in public, but just smile when you see people being happy about them.

I personally wouldn't have been doing the things I'm doing now and have been doing, without Quim's help and very early on discussions about the crazy ideas some of us people had in the community - like to brave to have a open platform for mobile devices.

This is from a platform developer POV: Things have improved immensely since back when I started on N800. A lot of Harmattan UX is actually open sourced, much more than what was ever in Fremantle. Almost scaringily too much, some would say.

Though some might argue that the applications aren't.. 1) who would want to continue on MTF-based applications 2) can't anyone with half a brain re-do these in QML in significantly shorter time than Nokia took to do them in MTF?
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Talk of the devil ! and yes i agree with you because Nokia obviously thought this community was not capable of knocking up a better OS than them.

It is all greed and stupidity with them and i only wish you could have gone further.

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by stskeeps View Post
things have improved immensely since back when i started on n800. A lot of harmattan ux is actually open sourced, much more than what was ever in fremantle. Almost scaringily too much, some would say.
SUMMON Danramos!

The Following User Says Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Talk of the devil ! and yes i agree with you because Nokia obviously thought this community was not capable of knocking up a better OS than them.
Well, part of the issue there might have been that when someone in community gets good enough at something, well, they got hired by Nokia or other companies in the open source ecosystem

But frankly: the way maemo.org is organised and is run is not very project-oriented and lends to way too much bikeshedding. Even in old Mer we chose a completely different working method than the rest of the community.

While the open source community does seem like the greatest thing ever which can accomplish everything under the sun, it all bends down to three things: time, money and focus.

Personally, these days I think the best product communities are the ones that operate like a proper open source project, but also has people from companies contributing within it. Mer has that, now, too. I've been involved with companies which function as open source communities internally as well - it's sometimes about the working method.

Even in big and known open source projects, go look closer at the actual contributors and you'll find many small to medium businesses, or even big corporations. .. and often that these contributions from small companies turn out to be paid work by the bigger ones.

If you believe you can do better than Nokia, have the community start one or more companies, work together in a proper open source way on common items, gain investments, etc. You can't easily put out actual mobile products on the market without actual $$$.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Frankly speaking though, while it seems like Quim is the bad guy when talking about things that can't be done or open sourced, you'd be surprised how much he has orchestrated in order to do good things for open source in Nokia. The trouble is that sometimes the best things you've done is things you can't talk about in public, but just smile when you see people being happy about them.

I personally wouldn't have been doing the things I'm doing now and have been doing, without Quim's help and very early on discussions about the crazy ideas some of us people had in the community - like to brave to have a open platform for mobile devices.

This is from a platform developer POV: Things have improved immensely since back when I started on N800. A lot of Harmattan UX is actually open sourced, much more than what was ever in Fremantle. Almost scaringily too much, some would say.

Though some might argue that the applications aren't.. 1) who would want to continue on MTF-based applications 2) can't anyone with half a brain re-do these in QML in significantly shorter time than Nokia took to do them in MTF?
Give me Qgil's job for a month and watch how i rattle Nokia and the idiot at the helm !.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Wheels on the bus go round and round...

*sigh* this looping discussion has gotten so old that it isn't even mildly amusing anymore.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Well, part of the issue there might have been that when someone in community gets good enough at something, well, they got hired by Nokia or other companies in the open source ecosystem

But frankly: the way maemo.org is organised and is run is not very project-oriented and lends to way too much bikeshedding. Even in old Mer we chose a completely different working method than the rest of the community.

While the open source community does seem like the greatest thing ever which can accomplish everything under the sun, it all bends down to three things: time, money and focus.

Personally, these days I think the best product communities are the ones that operate like a proper open source project, but also has people from companies contributing within it. Mer has that, now, too. I've been involved with companies which function as open source communities internally as well - it's sometimes about the working method.

Even in big and known open source projects, go look closer at the actual contributors and you'll find many small to medium businesses, or even big corporations. .. and often that these contributions from small companies turn out to be paid work by the bigger ones.

If you believe you can do better than Nokia, have the community start one or more companies, work together in a proper open source way on common items, gain investments, etc. You can't easily put out actual mobile products on the market without actual $$$.
I missed ths post i only just seen it now.

You have got it right again in that the community never had the right kind of teamwork going and relied upon individual expertise and workmanship.

When you have more than one coder working with likewise experiance they should join together at the least to combine efforts and i did not see any evidence of this kind of teamwork going on on here at all but please correct me if i am wrong.

Many projects were badly written and made big problems for the running of the OS and this happens simply because the work is not being run in real terms, and along with other projects, this can lead to disasterous results as we have seen so many times and ends up a nofix situation simply because the coder either did not have the source available or the expertise to implement code to a partially and sometimes critically closed in some area's OS.

My honest opinion is it is a shambles from start to finish because of lack of OS source code, you simply can neither run nor check code that is to be implemented into an OS that is closed in any way or form.

In my days of engineering when software was written it was checked for all possibilities of bad or ugly situations occuring and to do this it is a must to run within the complete OS and in this case we are talking about the Maemo OS of the N900 so how could a community of even 2 coders work without the complete source?, i was dumfounded from day one when i realised what was actually happening on here.

IF Nokia has snapped up potential developers from this commuunity then it never came to any good did it ! you only need to look at the "no fix" situation of the Maemo OS even today to work that one out so they must as you said been hauled off to other companies.

I really dont know what the situation was with your Meego project and how it was put together engineer wise but i hazard a guess in that they were all seperate coders working alone with no basic frame to code too, only to implement code for you to address as you seemed to be the only complete source of closed components.

I say this because you got so far with Meego for the N900 then it stopped so i think this is why you have stated coders were snapped up leaving you with no engineers to finish the work?.

If you read this post properly you will realise i know more than i am letting on but on here it is pointless to even talk about teamwork that just cannot be and for that reason i say little but having worked in a real software development situation i very know what is required and the strict guidelines a team has to work too from start to finish, THAT could never exist on this community as you already know and have stated.

I understand you more than you ever know and my honest opinion now of you is sorrow as i said in a previous post, the carpet was pulled from under you i am sure.

My frustrations do not have words i can say i tell you to even start to explain.

Good luck in your future whoever it may be with.

Closed Thread

Tags
die abill die, flog_dead_horse, not really open, open-core, specc the troll