Active Topics

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
No. Sell it to me, cheap, instead.
i taught you had the N810Wimax

T3 - IT 810
Confidence is hard to gain easy to loose impossible to regain, Pee

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
It's funny, I thought I would skip the n810 and go from n800 to n900. But given what my needs are, and given that I work and live in wifi friendly areas, I think I may get myself an n810 and call it good. The slight size difference (as I understand it) and lack of bump on n810 makes it a more appealing upgrade right now than anything I'm reading about n900-wise.

The Following User Says Thank You to lm2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Un27Pee View Post
i taught you had the N810Wimax
Nope. I was just testing it, and had to return it when my job was eliminated.

I have one N810, but why not another?

Re the instructions below, I believe I followed the instructions correctly to create a new catalog but I can't find "libwebkit" as an installable application, even when I search for it in the app manager.

Any suggestions? I was able to load the new firmware, but am stuck while trying to find/install the new 'tear' browser ...

To install tear follow these instructions

Open up the Application manager add a new Catalogue using these settings:

Name : Qole's repository:
Web address: http://qole.org/repository
Distribution: maemo
Components: main

Then go to installable applications look for libwebkit and install that first, once that is complete find Tear and install that.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
I don't recall for sure, but it's possible that nowadays you can just install tear and the rest will happen automatically. If you see tear as installable, install it and see if you can launch it.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
... and don't forget to disable javascript and plugins (from the rightmost inverted-v icon in the toolbar) for maximum speed - if you don't need them!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Sean-o: Just install Tear, libwebkit will automatically install too!

Another important note about the N810 and Internet speed: a cheap wireless router (like the ones your ISP gives customers 'for free') can really cause all sorts of problems. If the speed issues seem to be related to the browser taking forever to just connect to a page, it's probably your router.

I always recommend the Linksys / Cisco WRT54GL as a rock-solid wireless router.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
And running linux too Also quite customizable with DD-WRT and Tomato. I mean I have one too...

All,

After some late hours and a bit of determination, this Nokia/Linux newbie finally got the Tear browser installed, and it is CLEARLY faster than the pre-installed browser.

Thanks to all for all of your help -- I eventually figured out how to set up a new catalog for Qole's Repository, and once that happened, everything else went smoothly.

So, now that I have the Tear browser installed, I've got a slew of questions about its menu, how to add bookmarks, possibly zoom the page or increase the font, erase history, maybe add a Tear shortcut to the desktop, etc. Is there a thread here or a site that provides this handy info?

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
This is quick 'cause I'm about to head out the door.

Install extras-devel respository by click here and then clicking on the install link. This will automatically do what for extras-devel what you did manually to activate qole's repository.

Now check to make sure that extras-devel is enabled, refresh installable apps, and then install tear task navigator (not sure of the exact name). Once that is intalled, DISABLE EXTRAS-DEVEL. You don't want that enabled, because most apps in there are still in development, and you can bust your tablet if you install anything that's unsafe.

Once task navigator is installed, go to your tablet's control panel, and open "panels". Once in there, uncheck the default Web task navigator, and check the tear navigator. Close panels, and the world icon on the left of your tablet's desktop should be replaced with the tear icon. Click on that and you can launch tear from desktop.

Now, once tear is launched, navigate to a page you want to bookmark, and then once that page is loaded, click the white star on the bottom left of the screen. The star will turn yellow, and you now have that page bookmarked. Tap the tear icon on your desktop again, and you'll see the bookmark there. Also, tap the bottom right of an open tear page, and your bookmarks will be listed there, too.

Remember: ONCE EXTRAS-DEVEL IS ENABLED, INSTALL ONLY THE TEAR TASK NAVIGATOR, AND THEN DISABLE EXTRAS-DEVEL FORTHWITH.

Let us know if you have any problems.

Last edited by lm2; 2009-05-30 at 20:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to lm2 For This Useful Post: