You know, most of those names wouldn't be an issue at all if you asked any non-English speaker.. Simply pronounce all the letters, as written.
(Well, maybe the French would have some questions too.. but I don't really know French)

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Originally Posted by Catalyst View Post
Completely aside from any Maemo pronunciation, what is up with this Sony as "sunny"? Really, I don't think Sony ever intended their name to be pronounced like that.
I got this information from Akio Morita's autobiography.

Actually, of course, it was "sonny" that the name derives from, but since that's pronounced the same as "sunny" I used the latter to make the sound unambiguous.

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
I say 'may-a-mo because 1) the initiative is from a corporation from Finland, not an Anglo-Saxon corporation, and I imagine this is the correct way to say the name 2) that is how I believe 'ae' should be spoken.

If I am wrong though, I'd prefer to change it to the appropriate way Nokia intends it to be. The sooner, the better.
As best as I could tell, "maemo" came out as "mah-eh-mo" from many Finnish speakers, with the "ah-eh" almost a diphthong (that is, almost sounding like one vowel and not two).

The "two-and-a-half-syllable" description someone used is pretty accurate, although now I'm inclined to suggest "two-and-a-quarter-syllable" as being even closer.

And "ah-eh" is pretty close to the "aa-ee" diphthong that comes out in American pronounciation as long i (eg, as in might). But "my-mo" isn't as close an approximation as I'd wish. Just closer than "may-mo."

The Following User Says Thank You to RogerS For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Here is flite's opinion on the matter.

Can't get Festival to work. It whines about no /dev/dsp. However, festvox-suopuhe-common festvox-suopuhe-lj festvox-suopuhe-mv are the required suomi (Finnish) festvox packages.
Attached Files
File Type: tar flite_maemo_english.tar (30.0 KB, 277 views)