Time to create SilverBlock (ala FlashBlock). :-) Only (half) kidding. Looks good.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NigelMSB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 123 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ South Bend, Indiana
Does anyone know if offline silverlight apps are support on for instance OSX? If so, it would be a neat way to develop for the NITs

Originally Posted by omegaone37 View Post
Frankly, I don't want ANYTHING Micro$haft on my N800.

Regards...

Omega
Ditto.
Once they get their claws in, then they'll sabotage the system in the future while making Windows Mobile run Silverlight better, all the while declaring how it's the Non-M$ OS/Hardware at fault. It's also a tool for them to take down other parts of the OS and make the system crash and unreliable (making Windows Mobile look better).

Forget it. Keep that crap away from me.

Anyone with half a brain will run SCREAMING away from this.

The Following User Says Thank You to cyberbillp For This Useful Post:
Very true - you just know it'll end up not running as well as on Windows Mobile. Besides, I don't really fancy supporting non-open web technologies like this.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
My observations are that Silverlight (at least 1.0, 2.0 won't be available in the too near future) is slow. I can't say if it is slower than flash since there is no ground for comparison.

Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
OMG!! Yay!! Wow!! Great!!

Oh. Wait a minute. I forgot. I don't care

Flash is bad enough, without encouraging microsoft with all this pointlessness.

"silverlight makes it easy to develop dynamic websites and stuff like that". As an ex-web developer, HTML is a piece of piss, dynamic websites with PHP, Java, .Not etc.. are hardly difficult, and flash is either easy or fairly easy, depending on what you want to do. We don't need silverlight, it's just another way to stop websites working properly.

Raw HTML and PNG is all we need. Down with Flash! Down with animated GIFs! Down with YouTube! Down with AJAX!

sorry for the rant. couldn't help myself

I guess I'm going against the grain but I think this is the right direction. I do web design and while flash is easy, it is pretty expensive. Siverlight however can be made with Studio Express for free or MonoDevelop in the future. To me this makes it better than Flash by far. Until a reasonable replacement for Flash comes along(gifs, svg, and javascript are not reasonable) I welcome Silverlight.
That being said, in my opinion, both Flash and Silverlight should be used sparingly in websites(videos, ads, and misc. web applications).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wildfarris For This Useful Post:
Flash is a dog. I, for one, welcome our silverlight overlords. As far as "openness" is concerned, Adobe is not exactly the paragon of OSS and openness. I've never seen any third party Flash implementations.

If it's typical M$ bloatware, then it may never squeeze into the Tablet's fixed RAM size.

Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
What I really hate are sites built exclusively in Flash, with no HTML version. Especially sites which are nearly all text based and are using flash to make it a bit, well, flashy. bookmarks anyone? back button?

We have a client whose new site is like this, and it adds absolutely nothing to the design. But this is the same client whose email policy requires that all their emails be sent in HTML, with 100k worth of signature images, and a default font of pale-grey. Which I can't read as I use a background window colour of grey instead of white, because it's easier on my eyes when I'm coding for 8+ hours at a time.