Notices

I blogged about Irreco here. Thanks.

Do you know how strong the IR of the N900 is? I remember back during my Sony Clie days, the IR of specific models were so weak that it will only work at about 4 feet -- which made remote control apps unusable.

Also, any chance you can add bluetooth remote support for the PS3?

Last edited by Reggie; 2009-09-09 at 12:24.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Do you know how strong the IR of the N900 is?
No I don't.

Also, any chance you can add bluetooth remote support for the PS3?
Like said. No more features from current developers.
But if there is any commandline app on linux talking bluetooth and someone just ports that to fremantle, then irreco can use that commandline app. Irreco has backend that can send commands to commandline.

Maybe someone else knows a bit more about bluetoothing.

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by harriva View Post
(Sadly, IR beam is invisible to human eye, so no Star Wars battles with N900's)
Just point a digital camera at the IR port while sending and the light will be visible in the cameras viewfinder (great way to see if an old remote still works...).

BTW: Thanks for the great work you all did on Irreco - hopefully someone will be able to pick up after you leave.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Originally Posted by harriva View Post
No I don't.

Like said. No more features from current developers.
But if there is any commandline app on linux talking bluetooth and someone just ports that to fremantle, then irreco can use that commandline app. Irreco has backend that can send commands to commandline.

Maybe someone else knows a bit more about bluetoothing.
Maybe bluemaemo can be ported to the N900?
(I saw it in that video, so its in the n900 repos...)

And WHY is there a IR port on the N900 aside from using it as a remote control. Bluetooth and WiFi >>>> IR

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Last edited by Thesandlord; 2009-09-11 at 02:11.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post

...And WHY is there a IR port on the N900 aside from using it as a remote control. Bluetooth and WiFi >>>> IR
I don't know I still haven't figured out why there's a cell phone.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
I don't know I still haven't figured out why there's a cell phone.
Off-topic. (And it's because it's what the market wants, even if it's not what you want. You can already see the increased buzz and excitement around the N900 because people can understand what it is)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
First, I, for one, welcome our new n900 overlords.

Second, is the IR on the n900 consumer IR? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_IR ), what is the range? and is there also an IR receiver? Any remote app would need a learning function (assuming an IR receiver) so we can program our own remotes.

Originally Posted by ioioio View Post
and is there also an IR receiver? Any remote app would need a learning function (assuming an IR receiver) so we can program our own remotes.
You should be able to hook up a usb IR reciever. You can find them online. Swap the n900 into host mode and learn learn learn. as long as someone writes the code. But you should be able to find it from Lirc as it is a linux based open soruce program (I think).

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Originally Posted by ioioio View Post
First, I, for one, welcome our new n900 overlords.

Second, is the IR on the n900 consumer IR? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_IR ), what is the range? and is there also an IR receiver? Any remote app would need a learning function (assuming an IR receiver) so we can program our own remotes.
Highly doubt it is proper "consumer IR", 99% sure it is IrDA. This means that it is send and receive, so it can probably "learn" as well. Just remember that IrDA was not supposed to behave this way (like consumer IR that is), so its really a hack. I had a program like this for my Palm T3, and used the IR to control a mindstorms robot. Cool shlt.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Last edited by Thesandlord; 2009-09-11 at 18:50.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
I'm amazed they added IR to this device. I used IR on PDAs 10 years ago, but it hardly seems necessary these days.

Tags
infrared, irreco, n900, n900 ir, remote control