In my view due to the overwhelming similarities between Tizen OS and Sailfish OS, the project should be merged together. Both oses are Meego derivatives and share a lot of underlying components and components not shared could be incorporated into Tizen. Jolla could still offer their own user experience. Both Tizen and Sailfish share similar project goals. Merging Sailfish with Tizen would help reduce fragmentation. Fragmentation is a problem with Linux based oses in general but it is especially a problem with embedded and mobile Linux oses. Finally merging efforts would reduce extra work and duplicated effort on the part of both parties.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
And Jolla would be dependent on the goodwill of Samsung then, who might just decide to drop Tizen, if a manager feels like it one day...
It has happened so often already in the ancestry of MeeGo.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Tizen is developed by the Linux Foundation, Intel, The Tizen Association, and Samsung. Samsung is only but one member and only has so much control over it.

Last edited by railroadmaster; 2014-11-07 at 17:13.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
In my view due to the overwhelming similarities between Tizen OS and Sailfish OS, the project should be merged together.
There are no such similarities that I can see.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
Competitors in the same market-segment rarely find cooperation possible in terms acceptable to both parties, except when Elopcalypse happens.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
There are no such similarities that I can see.
Both are Linux, both are Meego derivatives, both have Wayland as a display manager, both use RPM as a package manager, and both project support a multitude of device form factors. The real differences is a few components like Qt or GTK, which while not officially part of tizen can be used with Tizen.

Last edited by railroadmaster; 2014-11-07 at 17:23.

Originally Posted by Thoke View Post
Competitors in the same market-segment rarely find cooperation possible in terms acceptable to both parties, except when Elopcalypse happens.
Meego itself was the result of collaboration between Nokia and Intel, Android was the result of collaboration between Android Inc. (Now Google) and the Open Handset Alliance which consists of many manufacturers and LiMo (Linux Mobile) was the result of collaboration between manufacturers. Platforms generally become most successful when they have a lot of hardware available, so collaboration to a certain degree makes a lot of sense.

Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
In my view due to the overwhelming similarities between Tizen OS and Sailfish OS
Nope.

Check for instance:
https://github.com/kumadasu/tizen-hi...y.pdf?raw=true
Note the distance between SailfishOS and Tizen, due to the fact that Tizen actually has relatively little in common with MeeGo.

The Tizen history tree is also included in this presentation from SmartDevCon 2013 about Tizen architecture, from an Samsung R&D engineer:
http://2013.smartdevcon.eu/static/up...chitecture.pdf
Quoting from slide 6:
"Tizen != MeeGo

Tizen has got few bits from MeeGo
- Connman
- oFono
- BlueZ
- RPM
- staff"

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I would rather see a switch. Jolla gets Tizen and Samsung gets Sailfish. Now just think sailfish on Note They can give Sail the HW it deserves. Jolla are smaller and can easly launch a tizen device since they have no expectation and can release as Beta a few years.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
The real differences is a few components like Qt or GTK, which while not officially part of tizen can be used with Tizen.
... and Qt is basically all that matters. (Well, almost.)
Fragmentation is a pain for developers, yes. But developers use Qt and friends on Sailfish. So they wouldn't gain a lot from a 'merge' that doesn't include Qt on the partner's side.

A co-operation with Ubuntu would be much more useful. I think there were even talks about it between the technical teams once, but I doubt they were successful in the end.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post: