Notices

I was trying to follw your instructions to compile navit on scratchbox last night but could not find the file to change auto make version.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=148

any sugestions?

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hannover, Germany
Originally Posted by mikhmv View Post
http://www.openstreetmap.org/
you can redraw (edit maps).

http://www.waze.com/homepage/
you can edit maps but no client for n900 (yet)
???
I know that I can edit OSM, but how should I draw my home street? I need GPS-data, but meanwhile I live hundreds of kilometers away or an aerial photo where you are allows to redraw streets, like yahoo aerial maps.

Bye

Thorsten

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ France
Using the helpful instructions in this thread, I was able to install Navit and using the cloudmade download ( http://downloads.cloudmade.com/ ), I was able to put the entire european map on the N900. Thereafter, after editing the various .xml files (maps and navit), I was able to get the thing more or less working.
My main problem is that I can't seem to get the thing to actually use a bookmark to find a destination. When I try the bookmark, I can enter the country OK (France) but thereafter, when it asks for a street, I enter a street and it doesn't seem to do anything with it. Typing a carriage return only displays a little box character but it doesn't seem to want to look for the street. I also find it strange that it doesn't ask for the city first like most other GPS navigation software (there are often several streets with the same name in different cities no?).
I can also confirm that it crashes a lot when launched from the icon (I used the version available in the extra-dev) and a lot less when launched from the command line. It also seems to look for several icons that aren't available even though I added all the xpm file icons given in one of the earlier message - it seems to look for some bar.xpm and shop_grocery.xpm icons in particular...
Overall it's very slow especially when trying to move around the map and/or while zooming in & out.
The software seems promising but still falls short of being fully functional.
Should I try Maemo Mapper instead? Sygic seems like it will be the best thing around but it's rather expensive and still isn't out yet...or maybe I should wait for OVI maps to get on-the-fly routing.

-=AC=-

The Following User Says Thank You to AloxeCorton For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by schnebeck View Post
???
I know that I can edit OSM, but how should I draw my home street? I need GPS-data, but meanwhile I live hundreds of kilometers away or an aerial photo where you are allows to redraw streets, like yahoo aerial maps.

Bye

Thorsten
You can install osm2go on n900. This is an OSM editor. It can utilize n900's GPS reciever to draw tracks. Then you just need to draw street according the track.

Posts: 374 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hungary
Originally Posted by Trek1701 View Post
Yes. libgarmin was easy to compile and create a .deb for arm, but compile Navit for arm is taking some time for me. I am having some dificulties with automake to create the Makefile.in. Working on it.

Trek1701
will you share with us your compiled libgarmin package?

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vulcan
@fred123
Hi fred, sorry for the delay.
I think I just typed it wrong. I should be Makefile.in.

@taril
Sure I will, but installing libgarmin.deb alone, without a recompiled version of Navit won't work. That's what I'm trying to do now.

Trek1701

@trek1701 thanks, I've realised that I have aproblem with automake and the file is not being created. Tried installing automake 1.10 but it still isnt working. I wonder why other people are having less problems.

I am using gui installed sdk on ubuntu 9.10 installed from live cd, what are you using?

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vulcan
@fred123
I'm using the VMWare image from Nokia. It's free to downlad.
I've updated automake with the following command from inside fremantle command line:
Code:
fakeroot apt-get install automake
Trek1701

Posts: 374 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hungary
Originally Posted by Trek1701 View Post
@fred123
Hi fred, sorry for the delay.
I think I just typed it wrong. I should be Makefile.in.

@taril
Sure I will, but installing libgarmin.deb alone, without a recompiled version of Navit won't work. That's what I'm trying to do now.

Trek1701
my scratchbox is ready, so do i for developing navit for N900.
if you need help.

@trek1701
Thanks I am unziping that one again, I gave up with it because I thoght it was beta copy of sdk.

Tags
navigation, navit, nokia n900, openstreetmap