Notices

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Southern Oregon Coast
I have been thinking about an app/utility that would control the internet connection among other things like the cpu policy.
What I would like is something that detects a lack of activity over say 5 minutes and then sets itself to the settings the user sets up and designates.
Is this a complicated task?

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Can you explain more about what you mean? Are you thinking of something that tries to save power when the phone is idle?

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Can you explain more about what you mean? Are you thinking of something that tries to save power when the phone is idle?
Well, actually I am after this for the 2008 OS instead of Maemo 5.

But, yes to save power in a way that still makes the device do the work.

Case in point: have you ever used your tablet go look something up online and then changed the Device Mode to Offline thinking that you were done using the device for awhile? And then two minutes later realized you forgot to google something else?

Also, I have found that while online, I get better performance in "performance" mode. This started while using Fennec. I HAD to be in this mode to get the browser to work properly.

So for me, this is a combo function of using performance whie online and powersave when I am not. To combine this would be great!!!

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Originally Posted by coosbaytv View Post
I have been thinking about an app/utility that would control the internet connection among other things like the cpu policy.
What I would like is something that detects a lack of activity over say 5 minutes and then sets itself to the settings the user sets up and designates.
Have you checked Advanced Power? No timer, but if alarmed is being developed for Diablo as well, I think that should suffice.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

Posts: 286 | Thanked: 219 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ France
For the Internet Connection, so you have AutoDisconnect which closes the idle connection and switches to 2G mode when 3G is not used.

See http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=45053

For the CPU Policy, using a modified Kernel like Titan one and changing the voltage to lower values could be the solution.

See http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=49654

I use the 2 options and I am very happy with it! My batteries last much longer.

Cheers

calvin_42:

does this idea work on OS 2008?

I have an N810, not an N900 phone?

Posts: 286 | Thanked: 219 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ France
calvin_42:

does this idea work on OS 2008?

I have an N810, not an N900 phone?
For AutoDisconnect, the UI requires Qt4.6 and Maemo5 functionnalities but the scripts behind don't. So it should work.

Source GPL : http://github.com/abrisse/AutoDisconnect

For the modified Kernel, I have no idea if they exist for the N810 model.

Last edited by calvin_42; 2010-05-20 at 13:56.

anybody want to give this a try?