Posts: 12 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Malaysia
Hey, please post instructions on how to get this working, i would really appreciate it...

Thanks

https://garage.maemo.org/plugins/wik...id=1033&type=g

I followed the instructions here and got it working

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to varunkrish For This Useful Post:
Are you compiling code in windows or just running Xephyr? If so how are you compiling from windows.

Originally Posted by sevla View Post
Are you compiling code in windows or just running Xephyr? If so how are you compiling from windows.
I'm running Xephyr as a window program in this case -- but compiling has to be done in the linux scratchbox. (I'm using a virtual machine that runs Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) and has scratchbox installed in it on my WinXP machine)

Nathan

Last edited by Nathan; 2009-10-15 at 20:47. Reason: Fix Ubuntu version number

This is actually pretty easy to do; but I've been busy working on other things that I forgot to document this for you guys.

Steps to do this:
1. You need to download Cygwin Setup and Install it
2. Install the Xinit from the x11 category
3. Start Xwin Server in Windows
4. Type in the Xwin Shell
Xephyr :2 -host-cursor -screen 800x480x16 -dpi 96 -ac

5. Start your VM and start scratchbox.
6. In your scratchbox you need to do
export DISPLAY=<IP ADDRESS>:2
where <IP ADDRESS> is the ip address of the windows os. So in my case; my VM is 192.168.0.184 and my XP desktop is 192.168.0.240 so in scratchbox I type
export DISPLAY=192.168.0.240:2
7. in scratchbox type:
af-sb-init start

And you should be connected. If it doesn't connect you might need to run xauthority in your xwin shell. You can also edit the xwinrc file and add Xypher to it as a quick load program.

Nathan

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
@ Nathan, just for the record, there is no Ubuntu 9.03. What you are referring to is Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty).

Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
Installing Cygwin now, what are the benefits of running maemo sdk in windows btw? Better frames when testing or anything?

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
@ Nathan, just for the record, there is no Ubuntu 9.03. What you are referring to is Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty).
Thanks, for some reason I though Jaunty was 9.03... Ergh -- I bet I've made this mistake elsewhere too. ;-)

Nathan.

Originally Posted by joshua.maverick View Post
Installing Cygwin now, what are the benefits of running maemo sdk in windows btw? Better frames when testing or anything?
Actually your running the maemo sdk still in a linux vm. What I've done is moved the two windows for controlling everything from inside the scratchbox/vm to outside of the vm so that they are both like normal Windows applications. I then minimize the VM so it is just a task bar item.

I can now copy and paste between them and other windows apps. This has been very very useful from the Browser -> ssh window.

I also no longer have to deal with the VM eating my mouse and having to hit the "Alt" key to let it go. I can click in the SSH session, then in the Xephyr window and back to my browser w/o having to remember to unlock the mouse.

Speed wise (Xepyhr)-- it as least as fast; (I actually think it is faster). But the actual work flow is much, much faster. I can alt-tab between the dozen or so windows now and not get locked inside the vm.

Nathan.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
Very true, that is a great benefit!
Thanks Nathan

Tags
cool, maemo 5, sdk, virtual machine, windows, xephyr