Active Topics

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Palo Alto, CA
Originally Posted by huntr77 View Post
Aside from the web browser being vastly better, i've been trying to compare the N95 8Gb and the N900's browsing speeds in terms of 3G protocols (3G / 3.5G / EDGE / UMTS / HSPA etc).

From what I can tell the N900 has the same technologies as the N95, but correct me if I am wrong.

Are there any other improvements that might increase speeds with simple web browsing? Especially actually gaining a connection to a website (which can sometimes take 1 or 2 seconds), rather than downloading the data.

I live in London, UK and use Vodafone, so I presume the network here is pretty up-to-date and i'm hoping I can take advantage of any improvements in the N900.
N900 supports HSPA, which gives 10 MBS downlink and 2 MBS uplink. N95 supports somethink like UL3.6 MB downlink and 384 kbs uplink. HSPA should improve on the latency (which is the lag you see). However, all of this is completely dependent upon your network operator as well as the current load of the network. 3G speeds slow down as more users are active or connected.

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
c0rt3x what do you mean no upload? It doesn't provide 384 kbit/sec upload?

If you tether over Bluetooth you're not gonna notice the difference regarding download speed. At least not due to different GPRS radio.

In NL Vodafone provides uncapped speed, but have FUP and for now speed is usually 3.6 mbit/sec download, and upload of 384 kbit/sec (WCDMA / UMTS). The other providers are known to cap. Don't know about Vodafone UK. If you do, please update Data plans entry on Maemo wiki
384 kbps is EDGE, not 3G (it's not a part of the 3G-radio chip). That's what I meant, of course there is a UL speed, but that's irrelevant to the 3G chips.

Edit: 384 kbps is UMTS, not HSPA (it's not a part of the HSPA-radio chip).

Last edited by c0rt3x; 2009-10-30 at 16:37.

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Palo Alto, CA
Originally Posted by c0rt3x View Post
384 kbps is EDGE, not 3G (it's not a part of the 3G-radio chip). That's what I meant, of course there is a UL speed, but that's irrelevant to the 3G chips.
384 kbs is the original 3G speed, from Release 99 from 3GPP, more details can always be found from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umts

Originally Posted by jolo View Post
384 kbs is the original 3G speed, from Release 99 from 3GPP, more details can always be found from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umts
Oh right, silly me, I guess I'm too tired right now...
Sorry about that.

I was obviously talking about HSPA, which I shouldn't call 3G (since it's a synonym to UMTS). What I meant is that the older chip lacks HSUPA. To clarify even further, see below.

N95 HSDPA: 3.6 Mbps
N95 HSUPA: - (UMTS)

N900 HSDPA: 10.2 Mbps
N900 HSUPA: 2.0 Mbps

Last edited by c0rt3x; 2009-10-30 at 16:38.

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Which brings me to my next thought. With download speeds like that I i'm pretty confident they can get the BBC iPlayer working on the N900 (http://video.aol.co.uk/video-detail/...lks/4001268144). It can't be the graphics chip being unable to render the video, as it can play divx movies with no problem.
That demo/test was run with the N900 connected to WiFi, so unless the guy's fixed line internet sucks to a truly astonishing degree it's not the connection speed that's causing the problem.

You're obviously right that the N900 can play back the video, but there does seem to be something about Flash that makes it horribly inefficient (also true on desktops, not just phones).

My current plan is to simply grab the streams using get_iplayer, then play the files back with something that's not flash.

Originally Posted by ewan View Post

My current plan is to simply grab the streams using get_iplayer, then play the files back with something that's not flash.
Sounds like a plan to me. Once you figured it out, let me know! Wouldn't the BBC kind of encrypt it though, so it only goes through their player?

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by c0rt3x View Post
Oh right, silly me, I guess I'm too tired right now...
Sorry about that.

I was obviously talking about HSPA, which I shouldn't call 3G (since it's a synonym to UMTS). What I meant is that the older chip lacks HSUPA. To clarify even further, see below.

N95 HSDPA: 3.6 Mbps
N95 HSUPA: - (UMTS)

N900 HSDPA: 10.2 Mbps
N900 HSUPA: 2.0 Mbps
Well, according to Wikipedia Vodafone UK has rolled out HSUPA so I give you that. But in general, HSUPA hasn't been much rolled out. HSDPA has. Hence, as of now, the chances of using that splifftastic better upstream are as of now also slim.

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
No technical details, but very positive end user experience: Last week, I had a failure in my ADSL connection (5000/500). Using Nokia PC Suite, I attached my notebook to the N900 over USB and used that for surfing (3.5G connection). There was no noticeable speed difference :-)

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Sounds like a plan to me. Once you figured it out, let me know! Wouldn't the BBC kind of encrypt it though, so it only goes through their player?
They mostly don't. For all the gory details have a look at the Beebhack wiki and the get_iplayer pages. However, in short, it's possible to download DRM free copies of iPlayer programmes on Linux, now. The only question marks are over whether the N900 media player will play the resulting files (I'm betting it will), and about getting the download tools themselves to run on the N900 (they're basic commandline things, so it shouldn't be hard).

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK
Which brings me to my next thought. With download speeds like that I i'm pretty confident they can get the BBC iPlayer working on the N900 (http://video.aol.co.uk/video-detail/...lks/4001268144). It can't be the graphics chip being unable to render the video, as it can play divx movies with no problem.
The problem with iplayer is the videos on the website are vp6 which n900 does not have as dsp optimised and probably not even neon optimised. An interface that got the iphone or ps3 versions which i believe are h264 would be dsp optimised and hence run decently. Divx movies play well because the mpeg4 decoder is dsp optimised.