Active Topics

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ localhost
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
There are at least a dozen good threads on the subject (two of which are on the front page). Why, exactly, do we need another one?
I agree with most; why bother to write these useless remarks if you don't agree with the thread?

On topic: For the most part, OS2008 gets my thumbs up. Some minor issues remain though.

Posts: 169 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Brooklyn, NY
This is what you want.
Oh, I know about #maemo, but IRC is hardly consumer-friendly, and #maemo is really geared for the developer community.

What Reggie should do is set up a special itT Meebo Room, and then embed the chat room on a page *on* internettablettalk.com so users don't have to fire up an extra application they've never heard of just to ask a simple question -- the whole idea is to make asking a chat question easier and faster that submitting a one-line post.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by namtastic View Post
Oh, I know about #maemo, but IRC is hardly consumer-friendly, and #maemo is really geared for the developer community.
IRC is very easy to use, and #maemo addresses all sorts of concerns related to the platform and the tablets—not just developers. If they really are having trouble with IRC, then a Java client like the one from freenode will work for them.

Originally Posted by namtastic View Post
What Reggie should do is set up a special itT Meebo Room, and then embed the chat room on a page *on* internettablettalk.com so users don't have to fire up an extra application they've never heard of just to ask a simple question -- the whole idea is to make asking a chat question easier and faster that submitting a one-line post.
We already have a Jaiku feed cluttering up the homepage, we don't need another chat applet of some sort on there. #maemo is easy to get to and filled with people who know what they're talking about. Why try and move the help discussions away from where the knowledge is?

Posts: 169 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Brooklyn, NY
IRC is very easy to use, and #maemo addresses all sorts of concerns related to the platform and the tablets—not just developers. If they really are having trouble with IRC, then a Java client like the one from freenode will work for them.

We already have a Jaiku feed cluttering up the homepage, we don't need another chat applet of some sort on there. #maemo is easy to get to and filled with people who know what they're talking about. Why try and move the help discussions away from where the knowledge is?
I would disagree with you very strongly about IRC, Java, and the immediate accessibility of both. (The curt answer would be, if IRC is so easy, why is there such a market demand for web chat?) As long as itT doesn't help the average user get to the chat from within the browser, the vast majority will not bother to take the extra steps to join in. In addition, would you actually want the hundreds of guests that hit the site to be piped into #maemo? Of course not, you'd want them to go into a new channel, like #maemo-help or #maemo-newowners -- the IRC experts know how to log into multiple rooms, so no problem.

This is the fundamental problem of this kind of device. As this device begins to move into the mass-market, non-hobbyist space, it's going to attract users who don't know about IRC, who don't know what a repository is, and who are generally less computer-savvy than those already on this forum. And when novices and experts collide, it ends up becoming a culture war. Case in point: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=13481

Most users on the web treat forums like chat. So why not just give them chat? Why not add features to the site that draw away unwanted forum activity into systems that can handle them better? To wait for people to suddenly learn how to use forums properly is like a postman waiting for the mail to stop coming. There will always be more novices than experts coming in, and the curve will only increase as the tablets gain popularity. The only other option is to go private, and put up a barrier to registration.

As for Jaiku, I would like to point out that I hate that it's there. It's another post-comment structure that detracts from the site forums, and furthermore, ever since Google bought Jaiku they've turned off new-user registration, so re: my point on how to help suffice brand new IT owners who have easy questions, offering a system that they can't participate in does absolutely nothing to help them.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Richmond, BC, CAN
So I picked up the I-Blue 757 GPS for my Nokia. Didn't take long to get it connected, and ran the included MAPS with OS2008. So far so good, then I noticed the option for NAVIGATION (free for 7 days). All I can say is DAMN! I didn't expect this! All the maps, different voices, wow. The N800 just became a WHOLE lot better.

Does anyone know what the price for the navigation software is on its own?

I was runing the os2008 beta and now i am on 2008 release .. I give it 2 thumbs pluss my wifes thumbs !! UP .. It is so much faster . over all all the apps i need has been ported over or aleast some of the 2007 apps still work. I just hope we see a flash player that will let us use are video camera and mic for sites like justin.tv youtube and so on. Aleast with 2007 the Mic was listed on flash . now no mic or video is listed ...

Other than that it just rocks ... 2008 *****

Hey Guys,

Great comments, very helpful for all, especially me.
I finally upgraded to os2008 and wow!
I went to the Nokia NYC store and they upgraded me for free and helped me with add ons. I felt like I was at the fruit bar. The store is great to look at and the staff is very knowledgeable, friendly and helpful.
Things I love. The new player rocks! My movies now play with no skips. Camera works nice. Skype is awesome!
They also connected me to Google Talk so I could video conference!
The screens and menus are much better.
They added email and connected it to gmail which is great!
The photo player still needs work because it takes too long to load all my photos and it still misses some pics when I move from picture to picture.
Overall I have new machine.
I'm going to add the GPS next because of the great comments about it.
I've also bought a d-link travel router that is amazing. I travel a lot and hotels always have ethernet ports but no wireless for N800. I just plug it in and instantly I have wireless not only in my room but outside the room for about 100 feet.
Verdict: Two enthusiastic thumbs way up!!!
Developers and those who helped in this upgrade should be very proud of the work you have done. Keep it up. Dan lol

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2007 @ NY Metro Area, US
The new OS is great! I've used N800 since April and the upgrade feels like a whole new device. Fast and responsive. I love the new themes with transparency. I have the Navicore kit that I upgraded to Wayfinder. Tomorrow I'll be testing it on the road with voice guidance and all.

As for the apps I kind of settled on the built in ones plus handful of third party and web for everything else (mail, calendar etc.). The apps I find indispensable: FBReader, Evince (haven't installed it on OS2008 yet), MPD Client for Meamo, Vagalume and now Canola 2. The new built-in media player with directory of streaming servers is awesome.

I wish there is a solid solution for remote music streaming ala Orb or Webot (maybe someone has a good solution?). I don't find current web clients much satisfactory. I tried MP3Tunes desktop applet but it never worked for me and had a nasty habit of wiping all the other desktop applets away.

Since Mythv is my main media center I was very excited with the effort around GMyth but I'll have to give it another go since I've never been able to get it to work. I'm looking forward to the Video Center again and what features come next.

The repo situation was a bit out of control for the last couple of days, but nothing to lose sleep over.

Overall, very good upgrade.

There are at least a dozen good threads on the subject (two of which are on the front page). Why, exactly, do we need another one?
According to The General, it seems we are all newbies and should just go away. Sorry dude, but your attitude in almost all of your posts (that I have read, and I have read quite a few) is negative or obtuse towards the poster.
Please attempt to understand the pure ignorance on some users' parts. There is no need to be on the offensive until you have been offended.
And for your retribution's sake, please remember that I have not been in this forum posting for more than a day myself. Fortunately in my defense it shouldn't be any trouble dealing with anything you can dish up. (Now who's on the defensive?)
Anyway, back to the thread at hand. Great idea as I was about to start one myself but did a search first

OS2008 on the N800:
Pros:
Sexy interface and desktop themes (really nice clock too).
Skype works perfect here.
Radio and Camera apps work great.
Canola 2 works, with minor caveats.
GPE Calendar works.
Browser works better, faster, and with lots more support.
Device feels faster than OS2007.
YouTube Works, fast! So does webmail/online banking/webadmin GUI
Map application included (cannot get the map files for east coast).
More finger-centric menus (but finger-centric menus do not extend to app menus).

Cons:
Finger sense for thumboard seems crippled.
Browser says "connecting.." at lower right sometimes but never does. This could be just my device hanging.
Repositories are not responding properly (not OS2008's fault).
Less application compatibilities, for 2k7 only.

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2007 @ NY Metro Area, US
Originally Posted by Gujustud View Post
So I picked up the I-Blue 757 GPS for my Nokia. Didn't take long to get it connected, and ran the included MAPS with OS2008. So far so good, then I noticed the option for NAVIGATION (free for 7 days). All I can say is DAMN! I didn't expect this! All the maps, different voices, wow. The N800 just became a WHOLE lot better.

Does anyone know what the price for the navigation software is on its own?
The price for North America on their site (if I'm looking at the right product) is $130 for 36 months. Don't really know what that means for existing owners of Navicore. Are we going to need to pay again after 3 years?