Active Topics

Notices

Okay, for some reason Mozilla claimed there were no mentions of "rtf" in this thread, but there are, and now I've seen them. I'll try saving a file as x.rtf.

But what about opening a simple rtf file created by OO? Shoujld that work, because it didn't.
Thanks.
- toby robison

Thanks for the tip on the keyboard. This is useful.

The keyboard thing is a known bug - see the bug lists - that is, you should be able to just click in the doc to pull up the stylus keyboard as is normal. (There is an issue where the pointer to our GTKIMContext is somehow bad or missing so we can't invoke that keyboard upon getting the focus in the document, for those technically inclined to fix it.) (Hence why this is a beta, and not in the default "extras" repository - you accept the bugginess by installing it.) Try opening your RTF file on the desktop with AbiWord, then attach the file to a new bug at http://bugzilla.abisource.com - it should be able to open any RTF file.

Hope this helps!
AbiWord on Maemo beta now available - contact me to help fix bugs!

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2008 @ Charlottesville, VA
Hey Ryan,

Sorry to dredge up an old thread... I have actually only come across it in the last two days and then went on to only upgrade to Diablo today (nobody likes a procrastinator).

Anyways, when I had gone to install Abiword on the N800 just a little while ago, I got the error in the defoma file that was mentioned many pages back, about a month ago or so. Had it been overlooked or is this a problem since Diablo last updated or something? It worked fine if the Chinook repository was brought up - as it did before, but it's a problem with Diablo.

Aside from that, though, great work - I use this device as a replacement to a laptop quite often and this extends that functionality a great deal for my personal use!

Last edited by Proteus93; 2008-09-01 at 03:18. Reason: referred to a post made a month ago, not two.

OK, this is an old thread, but I wonder if there's a chance to get .odt and .doc import for the existing beta? I can't use any of my .odt-files so I'm not using Abiword, which is a shame, really. Didn't Ryan say the import filters were next?

Abiword looks great and I'd certainly prefer a native diablo version to installing a different OS only to get Abiword running.

I've been on the lookout for this ever since I got my n800 more than a year ago!

Still hoping...

.doc import? Like editing and saving .docs? Because I have opened up .docs in AbiWord before.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

I'd be happy if abiword worked for me on N800 (chinook), in ANY file format. Currently, abiword hangs quickly no matter what I'm doing, and the app has to be killed.

Yea, program looks really good. Thanks for hildonizing it, something many people seem to skip over. It does hang quite a bit, but then again my tablet has been acting very funny. I have a N810 so no keyboard issues. I really wish there were two threads for every big new app, an installation problems thread and a normal thread. So many replies are about installation and not about the actual program.

I never used abiword before, so the .abw format is very odd. Is there any way to save as .doc? Will it be viewable on other people's computers? Is it compatible with the new Microsoft Office 2007 suite?

Originally Posted by borghal View Post
OK, this is an old thread, but I wonder if there's a chance to get .odt and .doc import for the existing beta? I can't use any of my .odt-files so I'm not using Abiword, which is a shame, really. Didn't Ryan say the import filters were next?

Abiword looks great and I'd certainly prefer a native diablo version to installing a different OS only to get Abiword running.

I've been on the lookout for this ever since I got my n800 more than a year ago!

Still hoping...
Not sure what you mean by installing a different OS - it runs fine in diablo, you just need a different Repository to install it.

Also, .doc works, it is .docx (I think...) the 07 doc format that does not work. I believe that .odt also does not work at this time.

I am also wondering if there is any more progress here with regards to the add on modules that were discussed or (more useful to me) the ability to save as .doc or .rtf (which I think was supposed to be just a packaging issue?) - the workaround works for now, just wondering?

MstPrgmr - you can save as a doc - the workaround is to create a blank .doc, and transfer it to the tablet. Open that, type whatever you want, and then Save As and rename it. This will save it as a doc. You can, I believe, also do this with .rtf files.

Another alternative would be to install abiword on your desktop, and use it to convert (it is, I believe, available for windows and linux)

Patrick

With other OSs I meant debian, deblet and so on. I don't want to install a whole new OS just to get Abiword to work for me.

I must confess I didn't try out .doc import because I thought .odt and .doc were connected. My main focus is ODT because that's what all of my files are. I don't want to convert them to abw, so I need the import feature.

Tags
abiword, office