Active Topics

Notices

Hi,

I have a N810, and I've been looking for a word processor. In particular, I want to be able to read doc files. Google docs is cool... When you're around a WiFi spot.

I found a version called "Maemo Word Processor" or something like that, but it doesn't install on OS2008, claiming it's not compatible with that version of the OS.

Is there a version that works on OS2008 somewhere? Or an other app that would do the same? (read doc file, simple editing).

Thank you!

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by erwan View Post
Hi,

I have a N810, and I've been looking for a word processor. In particular, I want to be able to read doc files. Google docs is cool... When you're around a WiFi spot.

I found a version called "Maemo Word Processor" or something like that, but it doesn't install on OS2008, claiming it's not compatible with that version of the OS.

Is there a version that works on OS2008 somewhere? Or an other app that would do the same? (read doc file, simple editing).

Thank you!
If only, if only someone had thought about asking that question before you just now, then maybe we would already have had an answer to the question.

Oh, wait...

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Colorado
The problem we have had for Abiword is that no one has enough time to build it. Here are the instructions from Ryan Pavlik's blog (thanks Ryan!); perhaps we can do this by distributing the effort into ten-minute sessions?

(http://cleardefinition.com/page/Buil...ord_for_Maemo/)

Build AbiWord for Maemo

Dependencies
From source:
• libfribidi0 (-dev)
• libwv (-dev) - need 1.2 or higher
From Maemo:
• libreadline4 (-dev)
1. Checkout AbiWord from SVN - or, use a tarball (post 2.5.2)
2. From within Scratchbox, in the abiword directory,
2.1. ./autogen.sh (if using SVN)
2.2. ln -s src/pkg/maemo/debian debian (for all)
2.3. dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
3. Enjoy? We'll see if this works right...

So let's break this into small tasks: libreadline4 is already on the tablets. Can someone with ten minutes find out where libfribidi0 and libwv should come from? Is there a deb or do we need to build them? Where is the source?

BL

The Following User Says Thank You to BruceL For This Useful Post:
BruceL: great, thanks for the pointers!

I managed to compile 2.5.2 after compiling dependencies, and then dependencies of the dependencies, and so on
(I've still not bothered copying all the libraries over to actually try running it, though)

I tried to compile from SVN, but configure fails due to a broken sed command somewhere:
config.status: creating libabiword.pc
sed: file ./confstatW14746/subs-4.sed line 41: unterminated `s' command

and line 41 from subs-4.sed:
s,@ALL_PLUGINS@, command collab ots google pdb opml psion applix nroff mathview urldict aiksaurus mht gda bmp loadbindings sdw clarisworks hrtext wpggfx t602 hancom passepartout gdict pdf openxml gimp eml goffice xslfo paint latex grammar babelfish wml jpeg freetranslation docbook wordperfect mif opendocument wmfgfx kword rsvg mswrite win32gfx iscii presentation wikipedia dash openwriter
,;t t

I got past that at some point, but then there were further errors related to the generated configure script that I really didn't care to mess around any further with.

Originally Posted by dblank View Post
I managed to compile 2.5.2 after compiling dependencies, and then dependencies of the dependencies, and so on
Same thing here, but no success yet. I'm stuck on gnome-icon-theme-2.20.0.

Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Same thing here, but no success yet. I'm stuck on gnome-icon-theme-2.20.0.
I think I had some fun with that one too, but version 2.21.4.

It did eventually compile, but I'm not sure what I did, heh.

What error(s) do you get?

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Why don't we put compiled dependency in a common place (i.e. here as an attachment) so that one who wants to try to compile doesn't have to start from scratch? Maybe we can reach the terget more quickly this way.

JeffElkins: from what I've understood about porting Gnome apps to Maemo, we should be able to patch it to remove Gnome dependencies (hopefully Gnome support is optional and a compilation option can remove that).

BTW, I found that page recently:
https://garage.maemo.org/projects/abiword/
Registered one week ago, it seems to be from the Abiword developers themselves...

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Colorado
Yes, but it isn't a good place for our build attempts because they won't give access to any outsiders. I just got a form letter thanking me for my interest in Abiword but rejecting my application. We need a place where we can post partial results so that the next one with a few extra minutes can pick up at that point. Btw, we should build the tip because it has the maemo fixes. It may be months before they decide to do an official release; all I need is a working pre-release build.