People shopuld stop thinking that Harmattan/MeeGo is total restart. Harmattan is Maemo 6 and it's the first OS that have finally gone full circle(where S^4 will follow a bit later) and was developed pararell to Maemo 5. Nokia clearly got big plans for Harmattan looking at the market share estimates from Nokia for 2011 and why shouldn't they? Harmattan is the one where they really can start developing something that's not just a stopgap.

This is taking much longer than it should from Nokia, but only because they made the right decissions especially with Qt, Maemo and Symbian imo.

Will this mean that Harmattan/MeeGo is instant winner? Of course not, but at least now all the Trolltech buying years back, buying Symbian and turning it to open source(Symbian Foundation) and making Maemo their high end OS start to really come together in Q4.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
What i wrote is indeed NOT FUD as you put it but FACT, you need to read the very forum on which your writing!.
Look at all the problems because the current operating system is not working with future developments and it never will as its got no foundation whatsoever right now THATS why they are bringing out Meego 1 , read this , http://meego.com/about/faq .
And guess what ... almost everything written right now simply wont work once Meego is established and implemented as a NEW os.
Lets get one thing straight here and now ok, i am for all intents and purposes an N900 end user and NOT a die hard Nokia fan that you obviously are i am also an engineer most of my working life (which i might add is a wee bit longer than yours !) i am also a very experianced pcb cad design engineer and ALSO had Nokia mobiles most of there exsisting life as a company so please spare your drivel for someone else who is not able to speak for himself.
YOU are just part of a team who thinks NOTHING but NOKIA and has no thought for anything or anyone else.
The N900 in my estimation is a badly designed mobile that will have no choice but to be re-designed merely for the usb port problems alone.
I believe in what i see and read so please please look around on your very own community and just maybe you will see something i am talking about.
Nothing is working 100% in any way or form software OR hardware wise.
Now where i am coming from that means a lot is to be done before Nokia satisfy customer needs.
I dont live on dreams i live on reality and facts and seeing is believing so up to now Nokia are not exactly being true to there customers.
EXAMPLE - take a good look on http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...965#post626965 it dont work ! also take a look on http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37107 THAT is an issue worth reading because it could well be the end of the N900 as we know it !!!.
I very strongly suggest you choose your words carefully because your dealing with the entire world here not just your NOKIA filled head ok !.
Take a good long look on your own community and you might learn one or two things.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2010-04-25 at 14:05.

Originally Posted by tissot View Post
People shopuld stop thinking that Harmattan/MeeGo is total restart. Harmattan is Maemo 6 and it's the first OS that have finally gone full circle(where S^4 will follow a bit later) and was developed pararell to Maemo 5. Nokia clearly got big plans for Harmattan looking at the market share estimates from Nokia for 2011 and why shouldn't they? Harmattan is the one where they really can start developing something that's not just a stopgap.

This is taking much longer than it should from Nokia, but only because they made the right decissions especially with Qt, Maemo and Symbian imo.

Will this mean that Harmattan/MeeGo is instant winner? Of course not, but at least now all the Trolltech buying years back, buying Symbian and turning it to open source(Symbian Foundation) and making Maemo their high end OS start to really come together in Q4.
Well done Tissot i take my hat off to you because you gave a very good explanation unlike your fellow friend Crashdamage who will do nothing but agrivate people with his words.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
The removed lines was just a way to say that Nokia is somewhat useless in providing their customers with respect and other factors. I am sure that there are plenty of people really disappointed in Nokia's move recently.
While it is true that the community provided a few cool solutions, Nokia's own role in the game cannot be overestimated. The way they became part of the community themselves and totally changed their way of doing their core business is something I haven't seen before in this industry. I consider it a revolution, and Ari is one of the key players in it.

When you start insulting him personally and pretend anybody in this community here - or the community as a whole - achieved things even half as important as he did with Nokia, then we're certainly not playing in the same team.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
All these 'Nokia has forgotten about us' posts...In the Android community Google has actually (and officially) given up on trying to find the 3G bug of the Nexus one. They recommend moving to an area where your phone has 3G.

Until Nokia releases a similar statement, they are fine and well

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Odd_gunnic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
abill_uk it's great that you are sharing us that you have been working 40 years as a engineer and what not, but you are not even trying to discuss here. Just flaming nothing else.
I am no one special at all but i dont need nonsence thrown at me from a minor in my case lol , i am very much an avid reader of this forum because there is a heck of a lot of young up and coming software engineers on it BUT i am seriously worried about Nokia as a company because it seems right now they are losing more customers than they are gaining merely over one device the N900.
I DONT like the way they are throwing back N900's to end user because they are not prepared to repair or replace the usb port, after all it IS there design so hell why shouldnt they dammm well replace them with new designed usb ports that will at least stay on the m/b!.
I see many many problems here software wise and i truly feel for the guys but heck are Nokia SLOW or what !.
When they brought out the N900 a LOT of people believed it was the flagship of all flagships from Nokia ME included, oh was i wrong ! so what are we left with? a device that has sooo many flaws thats got people screaming for the next update and Nokia dont issue nothing as to when it will be available THEN they tell the whole world the N900 is to be sold in China WITH the PR 1.2 installed !.
I strongly suggest someone somewhere puts together a statement that will be read by everyone on this forum to put peoples mind at rest as there are a LOT of unhappy people on here right now.
Just for Nokia's information i actually dissasembled my N900 and did a mod that makes sure you need a hammer and chisel to get the usb port off the m/b but it sickens me to realise its too late for that IF its already broken.
When Nokia start to be fair to end user then i will shut up ok .
As for this community its a breath of fresh air.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
While it is true that the community provided a few cool solutions, Nokia's own role in the game cannot be overestimated. The way they became part of the community themselves and totally changed their way of doing their core business is something I haven't seen before in this industry. I consider it a revolution, and Ari is one of the key players in it.

When you start insulting him personally and pretend anybody in this community here - or the community as a whole - achieved things even half as important as he did with Nokia, then we're certainly not playing in the same team.
I agree with you partially here BUT its obvious WHY this community is important to Nokia because its getting together all the free working software engineers on the planet writing for Meamo and its development all for NOKIA, so lets be truthfull of Nokia here ok.
Nokia are indeed lavishing everything that goes on here because there getting it all FREE !!!.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
... because there getting it all FREE !!!.
oh. do they.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
oh. do they.
So if i write an app for the N900 post it on here and it works are Nokia going to pay me my salary for writing that app ?
And just what do you think Nokia will do with all the SUCCESSFUL written apps for the N900 please also note that nothing written for this community has copywright.

Here is a perfect example of what Nokia are gaining from this community .

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...774#post626774

I wonder how much NOKIA will pay this guy for his work !