Just asking as I received an N8 as a replacement for my broken N900. Nokia have given me the option of an E7 instead.

Not sure what to go for

Posts: 324 | Thanked: 371 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver, BC
I've had both for a few months, and if I were to pick one, I'd probably take the N8, mostly because of the great camera. The main advantage of the E7 is the nice screen. The Symbian Anna update brings a decent portrait keyboard.
(Based on download stats for my Ovi Store app, the N8 is definitely the most popular, followed by the C7, so I'd say it will probably see more updates for longer than the E7, but that's just a personal opinion).

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ California, USA
I (also) have both, and it's important to note that the E7 camera is the EDoF variety, whereas the N8 has autofocus, and the EDoF is pretty painful, IMHO, if you like to take really nice (N900, N8) macro photos.

I like the E7 keyboard, but I still prefer the N900, and the X/Shift/Ctrl? placement on the E7 keyboard is especially irritating.

The readablility of the E7 screen is nice, but the 640x360 resolution and the overall look and feel, fonts in web browser, email, etc... remind me of my Razr v3xx, in comparison to the N900 w/X11, higher screen resolution, really nice font handling, anti-aliasing, etc...

I also like 'conversations' (SMS) and email on the n900 a lot more than the Symbian^3 implementations, but I'm still curious to see the evolution of Symbian w/Anna and Belle, pending availability in the US.

And to be fair, my N8 and E7 mostly just sit in a drawer, and my perspective favors 'linux in my pocket' over any particular 'phone' interests, and I still have an N810, but the latest Qt 4.7 updates on Symbian^3 still make Symbian^3 interesting for development.

Originally Posted by Slocan View Post
I've had both for a few months, and if I were to pick one, I'd probably take the N8, mostly because of the great camera. The main advantage of the E7 is the nice screen. The Symbian Anna update brings a decent portrait keyboard.
(Based on download stats for my Ovi Store app, the N8 is definitely the most popular, followed by the C7, so I'd say it will probably see more updates for longer than the E7, but that's just a personal opinion).
what product code do you have? i cant find update on navifirm for my NAM E7

Posts: 324 | Thanked: 371 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver, BC
Originally Posted by jerryfreak View Post
what product code do you have? i cant find update on navifirm for my NAM E7
I only upgraded the N8 to Anna, I didn't try to upgrade the E7.

I have had both. I prefer E7 cos the keyboard. The only thing Im missing is camera in N8.

N8 was useless when writing loger texts. Now the situation is different cos Anna update is good and now the software keyboard is usuable.