Posts: 40 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ District of Columbia
Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
Does anyone know, and can tell, where "XOHM IS OFFICIALLY NOT ACTIVE OR SUPPORED" but it is usable in reality, if for instance one got an account in Baltimore?
DC (will be up in Nov.), Boston, Philly, Chicago and Dallas/Ft. Worth (plus these cities surrounding suburban area)

Check out developer.xohm.com

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mister Ecua For This Useful Post:
A few questions about my hand held:

1. Anyone get or seen the GPS actually work? I have had it for close to a month now and haven't seen one signal (It is enabled). I don't think the GPS Corresponds with XOHM (which is not officially announced in my area yet)

2. I really like the integrated Instant Messaging client, but the default setups for this client are Google Talk, SIP, Jabber and Nokia Chat (Nokia Chat? WTF!?) Has anyone successfully added AIM and Windows Messenger contacts? I have, however, was able to add my Gizmo5 account via the SIP setup and can place calls (haven't tested the video yet). The Gizmo contacts has not showed up in the maemo instant messaging client though.

3. Anyone know the POP3/IMAP and SMTP server info for the XOHM.com email address?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by mafranklin View Post

1. Speedtests via https://mobilespeeedtest.com are consistently 3.8 - 4
http://mobilespeedtest.com (note corrected link) only gives me 1.2 on my home DSL connection. 3.8 - 4 is crazy fast. Are you sure that's what you get?!

Originally Posted by mafranklin View Post
3. Occcassionally or quite frequently the XOHM connection drops and subsequently reconnects. Even in areas with great signal strength.
4. I also experience dropped connections with subsequent reconnects to the XOHM network when walking long distances, driving, or taking public transportation (all above ground).
This sounds like the kind of problem you would get with a pre-WiMax implementation like the one we have up here in Canada, where they call it "portable Internet" instead of "mobile Internet" for that exact reason. I hope that your problem isn't a structural one, or that it is something they're going to fix before they go live...

I guess the 3G modem in the next tablet won't have this problem...

Originally Posted by qole View Post
This sounds like the kind of problem you would get with a pre-WiMax implementation like the one we have up here in Canada, where they call it "portable Internet" instead of "mobile Internet" for that exact reason. I hope that your problem isn't a structural one, or that it is something they're going to fix before they go live...

I guess the 3G modem in the next tablet won't have this problem...
This sounds correct. In Baltimore, the connection seems seamless, but in the DC area, even at full signal strength and when I am standing in one spot, I get dropped (or booted) from the network.

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
Originally Posted by Mister Ecua View Post
This sounds correct. In Baltimore, the connection seems seamless, but in the DC area, even at full signal strength and when I am standing in one spot, I get dropped (or booted) from the network.
Are they not still in the process of setting it up in DC, if so how can we pass judgment on it?

Originally Posted by heavyt View Post
Are they not still in the process of setting it up in DC, if so how can we pass judgment on it?
I was responding to Qole's response to mafranklin, I wasn't really passing judgment lol. I was only agreeing.

See posts #245 & #253

Last edited by Mister Ecua; 2008-11-02 at 20:29.

Originally Posted by Mister Ecua View Post
A few questions about my hand held:

1. Anyone get or seen the GPS actually work? I have had it for close to a month now and haven't seen one signal (It is enabled). I don't think the GPS Corresponds with XOHM (which is not officially announced in my area yet)

2. I really like the integrated Instant Messaging client, but the default setups for this client are Google Talk, SIP, Jabber and Nokia Chat (Nokia Chat? WTF!?) Has anyone successfully added AIM and Windows Messenger contacts? I have, however, was able to add my Gizmo5 account via the SIP setup and can place calls (haven't tested the video yet). The Gizmo contacts has not showed up in the maemo instant messaging client though.

3. Anyone know the POP3/IMAP and SMTP server info for the XOHM.com email address?
Can anyone help me out here? Thanks.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I am hoping that xohm will be up in Arizona/Phoenix/Tempe when I next visit, that would persuade me to buy an n810w!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Mister Ecua:
1. GPS should work, it may take a long time to get a first fix, and you need to have a good view of the sky.
2. RTComm Beta will give you AIM and MSN.
3. no idea.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Mister Ecua:
1. GPS should work, it may take a long time to get a first fix, and you need to have a good view of the sky.
2. RTComm Beta will give you AIM and MSN.
3. no idea.
Thanks! especially to # 2!