Posts: 143 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Bradford, (England)
Right, I've owned an N800 for 4 years ow and was never interested in the N810 - still boxed albeit scratches on back and have got my hands on an elusive HP Pre 3 that has beeen discontinued, however, with a similarly sized support community.

How does it stack up against N900 as I'm thinking of selling it and getting the cheaper and far more functional ?, N900, as I've wanted it since release and it still packs a punch; plus the community support with nitroid etc.

Your Views ?.

I was thinking a few months back to get an HP pre 3 on contract when it came out, but delays, then HP dropping webos, then now reviews have not been good at all. All that has put me off it. Unless they are really giving them away for like 10 quid per month and good minutes and texts and internet, I might get one then. I have heard that they might actually be going really cheap, so it is still a possibility. I'd probably still use my n900 anyway, cos I can't see anything else to replace it, so it might be worth a punt to get it cheap and see if people can hack it into being a good phone.

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
I've used both and also thought of moving to WebOS when Nokia committed Microsoft suicide. However, now that HP has thrown in the towel, there goes WebOS's advantage of being a supported OS.

WebOS isn't nearly as fun as Maemo5. Just getting a terminal that came CLOSE to working as well as the built in X-term in the N900 was a real struggle. Not to mention the portrait keyboard is missing many keys that are needed for command line access, and no symbol key menu is available in the majority of terminal apps on WebOS.

WebOS also has no X server by default, and the X server you can install on the side is buggy and only accessible via VNC. With that fact, you can forget about simple ports of applications from desktop linux or binary compatibility with apps compiled for Pandora.

Also, the packaging system, while managable, is not nearly as efficient as the Debian method used on Maemo.

The speed and UI is really nice on WebOS, but without the promise of new hardware and varied form factors incoming, it's hard to justify the investment of your time instead of just upgrading to a more familiar and flexible N900.

Posts: 143 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Bradford, (England)
Mine is £10.50 a month for 24Months, hover there is one at £36 plus 12 months free which equates to £108!

Plus £50 cashback and if cancelled early it equals £204 - the cashback makes it darn cheap.

Last edited by Yaser88; 2011-09-14 at 15:25.