Active Topics

Hi All,

I'm not even sure if this is the proper place to ask any information on these but I rely on accurate information from this site for almost everything else that I need so I thought I would take a stab at it.

I am thinking of getting a Noika N800 and would like to know what everythone thinks. I would like to get this toy so I can connect to the internet while on the go without carrying my 17" laptop and my Palm is really hard to browse the internet and the screen is really small. The only thing I find confusing is that I know that it will connect on WiFi connects if there are some but unfortunately there are not tons of those for free. The only other way it seems to connect is through bluetooth with your cell phone but that is not a great option either because of the cost - it is very expensive. So does anyone that has one know how you connect to the internet if you can't access either one of those methods? Does that mean that you can access the internet but will need to pay to browse on whatever network pops up? I'm assuming but I would really appreciate anyone that has one to give me a few tips and pointers.

Thanks.

If a hotel doensn't offer WIFI, but has a wired ethernet connection in the room, you can use a small travel router. Plug it in and it will broadcast a wireless signal for the N800.

Thank you so much - I'll google travel routier and see what I get. Do you have any suggestions??

Thank you.

Originally Posted by Kally View Post
Thank you so much - I'll google travel routier and see what I get. Do you have any suggestions??

Thank you.
If you want to get physically tethered, and minimal; you could get a usb -> ethernet adapter and do the nitty gritty work to you can connect directly from a ethernet based network.

If you bring your computer and if it has the software and hardware it could substitute for the router because it could act like a bluetooth, and/or wifi router. I have only seen software out of the box that does that is Mac OS X, and of coarse if you have linux its just a matter of dling and install, although ubuntu comes w/ a software package that does that. For Windows I don't know but I'm sure someones thought of this.

I DON'T recommend this but its it secured theres a possibility to crack it using the aircrack suite on your tablet.

Also, as always don't be afraid to go hotspot hopping - I do that all the time, especially with coffee shops.

If you really need to get on the internet like you said there are phone tethering plans, but there are some that are around 30 bucks for some, and I read somewhere if you get a boost mobile cell w/o bluetooth and put the SIM in a bluetooth cellphone and tether - you've got free cellular internet.

Yeah, yeah, I'm know I'm talking about things I shouldn't but thats life...

Wow - now I have a few things to Google. I know you're not suppposted to talk about some things but I wouldn't mind a little more information on the cell phone option. How do I do that??? Not sure I understand it too well or I'm missing something. I currently have a Treo 650 and I'm with Rogers but their data plans start at $45.00++.

Since I haven't received my N800 yet can someone tell me if there is a USB slot? Just wondering if the USB ethernet option would work - I'm assuming you would need a USB slot to use this - right??

Sorry if I am asking stupid questions but since I haven't received my unit yet I just don't know. And although I love to fool around with technology and toys - I'm not a computer wiz.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Kally View Post
Since I haven't received my N800 yet can someone tell me if there is a USB slot? Just wondering if the USB ethernet option would work - I'm assuming you would need a USB slot to use this - right??

Sorry if I am asking stupid questions but since I haven't received my unit yet I just don't know. And although I love to fool around with technology and toys - I'm not a computer wiz.

Thanks.
There isn't a full size USB connector per say, but what you can do is get a female to female full size usb adapter so you can use your miniUSB port on your n800. This will also be useful for other uses such as moving files to usb storage media. Then you just need to find a Usb -> ethernet adapter that is proven to work so its less work for you. I'm not sure about how to make the tablet play well, but its been done, and there are directions for that here - http://tabletblog.com/2008/03/n800n8...-ethernet.html

Be sure to notice you need to get usb host support working first, Kally in case you haven't realized the Internet Tablets require a little bit of time getting to learn its OS in order to really use it well, but I'm sure you can get it to work as you want it to.

Questions are never stupid. Be sure to use this forum and other resources to get your answers faster so you don't have to wait for answers because a lot of information on the forum is sometimes missed.

Originally Posted by Kally
Wow - now I have a few things to Google. I know you're not suppposted to talk about some things but I wouldn't mind a little more information on the cell phone option. How do I do that??? Not sure I understand it too well or I'm missing something. I currently have a Treo 650 and I'm with Rogers but their data plans start at $45.00++.
The thing about that data plan is it didn't exist, and it was a loophole in the boost mobile network. So your really comparing apples to oranges since your probably not on boost. If you buy a data plan, be VERY sure of what your paying for because they are usually very confusing to research about.

Actually we can talk about a lotta stuff what we shouldn't, I meant to convey the idea that its not 100% legal at all lol.... but if your a real traveler and hardly using a access point more than 5 times it doesn't really apply to you. People catch wifi hoppers on their access points and persicute them only if they aren't a customer, uptight, or its a private network. You can crack passwords on your n800 once it comes... I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure.

BTW.... I don't have any internet tablets..... I'm just addicted and obsessed about this awesome, versitile, and powerful Internet Tablet concept.

Be sure to search the forums for extensive information, and on google.

Scum

Scum - thank you so much for everything - One last question how can you be so addicted and yet resist the temptation to get one. Either way it's great there is someone like you willing to help out.