Active Topics

Hello and Goodday,

I am now since 1 month a happy N900 user and cuz I am so happy I bought another one just in case. Now I want to clone my first one to my second one cuz I have so many things (debian, calendar changes, firmware uptodate, ...) on it and installed so many things that I believe it might be the best to clone my old onto my new.

Is that possible? If yes ... what do I have to do?

Thanks.

Version: N900
Maemo 5
Version: 21.2011.38-1

EDITED:

Found this one:
"Yes, I'm coming to the conclusion that the answer to the question posed in this thread is "You can't". It's not possible to clone an N900. You have to re-install everything from scratch. Rats! "

Source:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90785

Last edited by peterling; 2013-11-10 at 14:14. Reason: [Solved]

I think it is possible with backupmenu, you make a backup of the current n900 and you restore it on the second one. Backupmenu is in testing repo.

However a lot of threads in the forum don't recommend it as it might break something or don't restore as it should, so it is up to you to decide.

This is the thread talking about it http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=63975

The Following User Says Thank You to Malakai For This Useful Post:
Found the answer here ... sorry but I did not find it before.

Solution:

"Yes, I'm coming to the conclusion that the answer to the question posed in this thread is "You can't". It's not possible to clone an N900. You have to re-install everything from scratch. Rats!"

Source: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90785

You could do cloning with backupmenu, but you need to have the same kernel version on both phones and most probably the same backupmenu. The latest backupmenu is in extras-devel repository.

The Following User Says Thank You to kolos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
When you want to restore a backup using backup menu the device needs to have the same kernel as the system has been backed up before.
I don't recommend restoring a backup with Kernel Power 52.
The best thing to do is backup the kernel and backup menu version as well.

Last edited by jellyroll; 2013-11-10 at 14:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to jellyroll For This Useful Post:
The way that I might do this in a desktop computer is to boot Linux from a USB flash drive and then back up the file systems that I want with the dd program to a raw image of each entire drive. If Maemo supported booting from USB flash drives, then the same could be done on Nokia N800, N810, N900 computers.

The Following User Says Thank You to qx773 For This Useful Post: