Ive dropped my n900 several times already not once have I seen a knick or scratch on it. Resilient device it is. I had an N95 8GB before this and I must have dropped that thing hundreds of times. Getting out of the car, hitting pavement and doing flips, tossing it. Thing still works. The nokia I've dropped getting out of my car and its hit the pavement several times. No problems thus far.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pogue Moran For This Useful Post:
i had my n900 in a sweatshirt pocket and was about to goto the bathroom when all of sudden i see my precious in the toilet submerged in water! NOOOOOOOO.... So i wiped it off and put it in rice like that youtube video. when i tried the phone it still worked but wifi and standard internet did not work. soon after that it caught the reboot bug. i called nokia and they voided my warranty but i sent it in for repair. it sucks but hopefully my repaired unit comes back working fine and i will have to be more careful. ill never put my phone in the sweatshirt pocket again!

The Following User Says Thank You to nkognegr0 For This Useful Post:
phew! glad its ok!

i once dropped my kaiser on rough tarmac and in the panic that gripped as it was falling i managed to stamp on it and slide along the tarmac (sorta like a skateboard :s) it still worked but it didnt look too pretty afterwards hehe. did that in first week i got it - now im super duper careful lol

The Following User Says Thank You to fusi For This Useful Post:
One of the good things about Nokia phones is they are usually amazingly durable. I've been using Nokia phones for well over 10 years (+ got one tablet) and never broken a single one (Yeah I know it takes luck too). One changeable shell cracked from pressure but that was well, changeable =)

I've dropped my N810 from about 1.5 meters (about 5 feet) to a stone floor without any damage and from about 1 meter (about 3.3 feet) to asphalt and got a scratch on the stand. Luckily still haven't tested the N900 =)

The Following User Says Thank You to reviver For This Useful Post:
I dropped mine the other day from about 2-3 feet to a carpeted floor. I wasn't concerned until I picked it up and the video was jumping all over the place. So, I immediately turned it off and then back on. When it came up with a rock-steady Nokia logo and the intro video I was relieved, but then, when the desktop came up, it was jumping all over again.

So, I turned it off and pulled the battery. I restarted it and it behaved exactly the same - rock solid on the intro video but scrambled on the desktop. I was rather upset, but I slid the screen lock in place and left it alone for about 15 minutes. When I looked at it again, everything was back to normal. No problems since then.

The Following User Says Thank You to JoePython For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
I have dropped my N900 on the floor while I was sitting down, but thankfully it slided on my leg most of the way then it hit some kind of cushion.. Even when that happened I felt my heart dropped with it too! lol.. I was so scared even knowing that it wasn't that big of a deal!

The Following User Says Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
I have been treating my 'new arrival' like my third child. Swaddling to ensure its protected, keeping out of the sun, cleaning regularly :-)

But last night I went to see Avatar (brilliant movie BTW) and had the n900 in my pocket. As I was concerned it was getting crushed, I removed from pocket and placed on my lap with one hand over top.

Then (damn you James Cameron !) a splendid scene of mixed CGI, animation, human interaction took me away to 'Pandora' for a second and I forget about my 'baby'.

Next minute I hear a sound of 'heavy plastic' as it tumbles off my lap and 'clackerty-clack-clack' onto the concrete floor.

I gasped !

I pick it up and performed CPR. (Opened the keyboard)

It was still functioning - thank goodness. But what about the body work?

Well - here comes the moral of the story:

n900 from Nokia - $549
Ebay rubberized case and screen protector $4
Still having a functioning, un damamged and unscratched phone after a 2 foot fall onto concrete.......PRICELESS

Merry Christmas everyone.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to janszoon For This Useful Post:
lol. i didn't have a case like you but i have one near it....and it acutally in my room.

so i'm sitting there playing on my alienware laptop, then i remember i forgot to plug in the power plug, so here i am yanking the power plug and not looking that it is being twisted along with the power plug of the n900.

so being me, im like wtfux is holding my power plug and decided to keep yanking then "bam bam" and i was like Holly sh.t O_O wth was that"

look down and oh to the hell, my n900 on the damm floor, my house have tiles hard floor and my laptop table is like high above so that is a pretty long drop.

guess wat, same like you, n900 warp in a .99$ rubber casing from ebay and it was unscratched and no dent and still working fine. Gosh i love those cheap china made cases

The Following User Says Thank You to bltcool For This Useful Post:
I remember when I did the same thing with my desktop PC. I'd just upgraded the motherboard on my desk and had plugged it onto the mains socket on the wall opposite. When I walked out of the room, I went straight through the mains cable, and dragged the tower off the desk. The case was bent for about 5 years, until I had to get a new one to take an ATX board.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

The Following User Says Thank You to fnordianslip For This Useful Post:
Just bought a rubberized case because of this story
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following User Says Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:

Tags
drop, drop test, fall, impact, n900