Posts: 402 | Thanked: 229 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
-what would be the best way to implement a timer for text input? ("aa","ab" etc not possible for now because there is no timeout)
Surely the time module would be best here. I'll have a look at it after breakfast.

-what is wrong with sending sms? the number is btw mine so before you press send, please edit the string
I am 100% sure it worked before but since I cleaned the code a lot and reorganized some stuff, it doesn't work anymore...
It IS git, so you could always run a diff on the revision that worked versus this one.

future plans: when I get those 3 working, I start to learn packaging and try to get the app to extras-devel. then I create an announcement thread to M5 and see if there is interest to beta-test plus giving comments for improvements.
The Py2Deb packaging article in the wiki is pretty straight forward, but I can send you my build script from aptly if you like.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
ossipena great stuff, I'm always impressed by prototypes coming from community

would need some custom glyphs over the keyboard for the ABC etc

problem with that is it changes for different regions, so you may be better having a back template and generating the alphabet ontop of those at runtime and using them

anyone want to offer some glyphs for ossi to help it look a little nicer?

Posts: 547 | Thanked: 1,383 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
I got finally git working (after I remembered that the public key at gitorious was 2 reflashes too old)

http://gitorious.org/vertsms

Now I have 3 problems:

-how can I get the contact chooser to output a number from contact's sms -field?
Looks great!

If you are having problems with getting the numbers and whatnot when using ctypes I'm using it in fMMS: http://gitorious.org/fmms/fmms/blobs...acts.py#line46

Hope this helps!

(Btw, I realise this is a bit silly request, but could you change your function names and similar to english? This would make the code a bit easier to read for the non-finns )

Problem with fMMS? Run in x-terminal: cp /tmp/fmms.log /home/user/MyDocs/
After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900
fAPN - GUI for adding a new GPRS APN
If you like this post, don't be shy to thank me -->

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
@aspitides, only problem is that I cleaned the code only that I can upload first version to git and don't have to shame my code so much.

but I'll see today if I can debug the sms sending problem.

and thanks a lot for offering help with timer. I've tried couple things without success.

I'll try py2deb but if it doesn't work I'll ask for the script.

@lcuk excellent idea, seems pretty easy to implement after more important things are functioning properly.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
@ossi, we are discussing a little in #maemo irc
drop in anytime

Originally Posted by frals View Post
(Btw, I realise this is a bit silly request, but could you change your function names and similar to english? This would make the code a bit easier to read for the non-finns )
hehe I changed many function names, variable names etc to english, so work is in progress. should have thought of that before writing first functions
Google Custom Search

yeah got sms sending function working again! now I am gathering motivation to look through frals good example.

and some answers:
-no T9 unless someone patches it up to the app
-no idea how one could use built-in kb. so I spent two evenings with python&gtk and got the UI to the state it is now.
-main point is quick&dirty solution that you can type simple sms with when you have only one hand available.
-can evolve to about anything, depends how much ideas and help I get.

e: just pushed version that has working sms sending. now I must go and clean the kitchen in order to keep my gf happy so she will let me code @ weekends also in the future
Google Custom Search

Last edited by ossipena; 2010-05-02 at 16:16.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Perhaps the quit button could be replaced by backspace? The user already has the x in the top-right corner.

I'm playing with timing right now to see if I can come up with something sane.

PS - The code looks much cleaner/readible than the initial version. Thanks. Would you be insulted if I made the indentation more uniform trhoughout the entire script?

Last edited by aspidites; 2010-05-02 at 16:34.

The Following User Says Thank You to aspidites For This Useful Post:
the indentation was quilty for killing sms sending so I won't be touching it for a while once I got it into condition that works

but it still is my intention to make it not to jump randomly eventually
Google Custom Search

Ossipena, I've cloned your repo and have timeout working. It is now possilbe to write "cat". Currently, the timeout is set to 1 second, but you can increase or decrease it as you wish.

The only quirk seems to be that the first character doesn't accept mulitple presses. That is, typing 2 twice results in 'aa' instead of 'b'.

Tags
portrait sms, python