Posts: 359 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Budapest
I am having trouble accessing my T-Mobile internet (in USA). I was abroad for two weeks and when I came back I get the following error (I also wanted to take a screenshot but Shift-CTRL-P appears to do nothing on my device):

"Error 400--Bad Request

From RFC 2068 Hypertext Transfer Protocol--HTTP/1.1:

10.4.1 400 Bad Request

The request could not be understood by the server due to malformed syntax. The client SHOULD NOT repeat the request without modifications."

Using the opera and firefox browsers got similar results (the the opera error is more cryptic - it says 'A page on the public internet requests data from your private intranet' and when I select 'Continue' I get 'Error Unknown - Your homepage is temporarily unavailable.' --which is all rather mysterious.

I spent nearly 90 mins with T-Mobile tech support and they were unable to do anything (the usual useless suggestions). They now tell me a more senior tech person will call me back later. We'll see if that comes to anything. I tried my wife's T-Mobile SIM card (also prepaid) and it worked fine in my phone - could access internet no problem.

Any ideas what I can do?

Last edited by noetus; 2011-04-18 at 18:21.

Get curl & wget on your device (can't remember where from, sorry) & try getting web pages from the commandline.

Code:
curl -I http://www.google.com
that's "-I" with a capitol "i".
Code:
wget http://www.google.com
Also try "mtr" to see if your device is actually connecting to the websites or just a proxy.

Code:
mtr www.google.com
If these tools aren't in any of the normal repos then they may be available for EasyDebian.

You could also try Wireshark and see what's going onver the network.

The Following User Says Thank You to dave1010 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Originally Posted by noetus View Post
Any ideas what I can do?
I would check the access point settings to be sure there's not some leftover proxy or username or something from your trip abroad. Mine has these settings:

Access point name: internet2.voicestream.com
User name:
Password:
Prompt password at every login: [ ] (not checked)

Advanced -> Use proxy [ ] (not checked)
IP Addressees & DNS set to auto-retrieve

You may have a different access point depending on which internet plan you're on.

I am having trouble accessing my T-Mobile internet (in USA). I was abroad for two weeks and when I came back I get the following error (I also wanted to take a screenshot but Shift-CTRL-P appears to do nothing on my device):

"Error 400--Bad Request

10.4.1 400 Bad Request

The request could not be understood by the server due to malformed syntax. The client SHOULD NOT repeat the request without modifications."

Any ideas what I can do?
change the APN to internet2.voicestream.com

Currently, you are using epc.tmobile.com

Unless you pay for the Smartphone data plan, you can only use internet2.voicestream.com

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Las Vegas

"Error 400--Bad Request

10.4.1 400 Bad Request

I'm also getting this. I use the internet2.voicestream.com APN.

Odd thing is, if I use microb they try to sell me a tethering plan, but if I use Firefox I get the bad request error.

I spent nearly 90 mins with T-Mobile tech support and they were unable to do anything (the usual useless suggestions). They now tell me a more senior tech person will call me back later. We'll see if that comes to anything. I tried my wife's T-Mobile SIM card (also prepaid) and it worked fine in my phone - could access internet no problem.
Out of curiosity, what kind of phone does your wife have? Is it an N900, another smartphone, or a dumphone?

That happens most of the time.

You type the following directly. You will get to the final page directly and you will get internet. (u will be charged for $1.49)

http://m.web2go.com/myaccount/hourpasssubscribe.do

Posts: 359 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Budapest
Thanks to all who replied. I never did solve this issue, but I also moved away from the US before I got a chance to try all of the proposed solutions (I did try some though, without success).

@FreeThinker: my wife has an N8 (my recommendation, based on the fact that she loves taking pics. We've had mixed experiences with it).