Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
There's a bit of discussion going about that we can't really call something that installs Debian and puts packages on top that makes it working properly on the tablet, anything with Debian in the name (see http://www.debian.org/trademark and such).

Since we build the system with properitary components for basic tablet support (by the rule of thumb that the people who install it, already has the license to backup and use the components the Nokia tablet contains in firmware, as part of anything running on their own tablets), we would probably never be able to be accepted as an "official" Debian port and hence be able to use the name.

So, what I'm basically asking is if anyone has a good idea for what we could rename the project to, as I don't want any problems regarding trademark use or fights with debian-legal@

What the project does:

* Provide an alternative operating system or chroot environment, for the Nokia Internet Tablets that is based upon the great work done by the Debian people (http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/debian , the "About Debian" section, seems to fit)

* Provide open source (BSD/GPL, etc.) software for all components in the project

* To use mainly open source components and only use properitary components if use of the operating system without these would severely limit the user experience and hardware abilities.

* Provide an open environment for including ideas and solutions for the distribution from contributors in the distribution, for other tablet users to have use for, both in terms of a flexible installer for multiple purposes and development model.

So, rules for suggestions, they can't contain Nokia, Debian or other OS/Tablet trademarks in the name, and should be at most one word, and maybe an attached tagline.

In advance, thanks for any suggestions coming in, as my creativity isn't as good as it has been regarding names

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Phoenix
Maebian....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wes Doobner For This Useful Post:
Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
Let me be the first, then, to suggest

Debbie

The tablet is a diminutive linux system, and Debbie is one of the diminutive forms of Deborah.

LiNIT
Linux for NIT's

(I am terrible at naming things lol)
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Originally Posted by briand View Post
Let me be the first, then, to suggest

Debbie

The tablet is a diminutive linux system, and Debbie is one of the diminutive forms of Deborah.
Erm.. well Debian is basically the acronym of Debra and Ian, so that way you leave out Ian Murdock, the founder of Debian and end up with his ex-wife.

Tabian.

Tofitad. (This OS for Internet Tablets ain't Debian)

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Naibed. The N is obviously for Nokia and ...

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Well, the most descriptive and non-trademark-infringing thing that comes to mind is "armel", since that is the ArmEabiPort's choice of architecture name. Of course, the maemo components also use that term, probably for the same reason that I suggested it, so it can be a bit confusing...

But I really believe that we can safely use the Debian name for the project, since:
  1. we're we're not a business and we're not selling anything
  2. we are using almost entirely unmodified Debian packages, downloaded from Debian repositories
  3. the packages containing non-Debian components are only required when the user wishes to boot to the Debian-based system (not if the user wishes to simply chroot)
  4. the non-Debian, non-Nokia components are mostly installation-related, and partly architecture-specific configuration. This is not really a different distribution, purely a project to install and run the Debian distribution on a specific hardware set.

So I still think we could call the project TabletDebian or something like that. I believe we could effortlessly defend the use of "Debian" in our name. Using "Nokia" or "maemo" might be a problem, however.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
I like Tabian, seems quite explicative

I like Tabian and Maebian.

Tags
debian, deblet