Posts: 78 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Hungary
Hello!
I'm in serious trouble!
I copied an MP3 album to my N900 over SSH with filezilla, and in the middle, the phone screen turned off. I put it back on but it started turning off quickly, and then it's gone. The screen doesn't even show anything.
The filecopy was successful, I firstly thought it was just lagging so I threw it back to the table angrily, but not hardly. But then, it doesn't show anything at all.
The phone is able to boot, everything else seems to be working, charging works too, as well as the status led and keyboard leds.

But I disassembled the phone because it was hot, and if I turn the phone on, the screen becomes BURNING hot. WTF?

Is it a motherboard or a screen fault? It's really expensive...

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Is it really the screen or the motherboard? You may be able to tell better when you open the keyboard.

Adding a large number of media files in one go makes tracker go berserk. Tracker is a background process that indexes your media files. Depending on how many files you have added, it may take a few minutes to a few hours to finish indexing. The indexing process takes a lot of CPU power which explains the hot operation and a lack of responsiveness. I would just leave it to finish the job, overnight, on a charger as otherwise it would suck your battery dry. Just hope that you have not damaged anything by throwing it around and dismantling it.

If it is really the screen, then I fear a hardware fault. You may end up having to replace the screen, unless it is something trivial like a loose cable. But I must tell you this is the first time I hear something like that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Phone works, battery in, assembled again, started maemo, plugged in USB, pressed mass storage from memories, aaand it works
But nothing on the screen.

You forgot that I COMPLETELY disassembled the phone and exactly the back of the LCD is hot. NOT the CPU.

I know how the tracker works and I hate it as much as I can. It's not the first time I hit the phone because of it. But this time it just fell maximum 10 cm to the desk, nothing special. Imgainge throwing it from your elbow resting hand to the desk.
This phone survived many, many accidents.

Originally Posted by quailstorm View Post

But I disassembled the phone because it was hot, and if I turn the phone on, the screen becomes BURNING hot. WTF?
disassemble: phone hot, screen = ?
reassemble: phone = ?,screen hot.
what to compare?
the whole phone disassembling was hot and reassembling was still hot?

Last edited by SHARP66; 2014-07-26 at 21:30.

I don't understand what you want, but I wrote those lines in a hurry.

The phone's upper half at the back of the screen was HOT. I turned it off, pulled out the battery, disassembled the phone, put back the battery, turned on the phone, and tried to find the hot spot. It was not the SoC. It's clearly the LCD.

The Following User Says Thank You to quailstorm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Very odd case . So if you even change the lcd i doubt it may get damaged again ?? Either something is wrong with your lcd/flex which is infact good as it can be replaced or something is wrong with the connector etc.

Yeah, I'm afraid of changing the LCD, but do I have any other chance?
I'll test with talk.maemo user PanzerSajt, and see if we can figure out what should be replaced. And I hope that his phone will remain functional.

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
ok use his entire screen to check breifly if everything is fine

Yes yes, I will just plug in the complete upper half.
But the time is a biiig question. One week or two. Or more...

PanzerSajt came over. My screen is faulty, his works on my phone. So I will buy a new screen. Any ideas where?