Active Topics

I am assuming this isn't an auto-mount like I have gotten used to in Ubuntu?

Will this mod change how File-manager sees the non-password protected shares?

Posts: 86 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Moscow
Is there a way to symlink Windows-shared network folders on tablet? I tried these variants:
ln -s \\Wl500g.premium\part0\folder\
or
ln -s smb://guest@192.168.0.1/
...but they don't work.

I think you have to mount it to a fold, then you can symlink the folder.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by youbecha View Post
I am assuming this isn't an auto-mount like I have gotten used to in Ubuntu?
That's right. The N8x0 doesn't connect to the network upon boot like most Linux distributions, so you can't mount network shares on boot. Theoretically, you should be able to put your mount statements into /etc/fstab as "no auto" and then mount them once you connect to the network, but I can't test that since "regular" mount doesn't work for me.

Originally Posted by youbecha View Post
Will this mod change how File-manager sees the non-password protected shares?
No, the File Manager does its own thing. The mounted shares, if placed in folders that the File Manager can see, will show as regular folders in the File Manager, but everything else should function as before.

Originally Posted by sashabe View Post
Is there a way to symlink Windows-shared network folders on tablet? I tried these variants:
ln -s \\Wl500g.premium\part0\folder\
or
ln -s smb://guest@192.168.0.1/
...but they don't work.
Mounting a network share to a folder is already kind of like a symlink, in that it is a remote share appearing as a local folder. In your examples, it looks like you are trying to use "ln -s" as a kind of mount command.

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Chicago
I have recently got my N800 and I have installed OS2008 on it. Its working fine. I was trying to access my Laptop (windows XP Media center edition) shared files from N800, to do so I have opened File manager and found few other network machines/folder but not mine laptop. I have turned off my Norton Internet Security Firewall (windows firewall is already tured off by default, since its using Norton firewall), then tried it again but could not see my sahred files/folder from laptop. However I can see the same shared folders from other Laptop/Machine (windows XP) and even from my Archos 604wifi.

My laptop is listed in "workgroup" (not in domain), I have full privilges on my user ID on laptop.

Could somebody help me to get the network shared files from my laptop on N800. I don't know why its not listing my sahred folders in "file manager".

I also wanted to reverse, I mean if I could access my N800 from my Laptop, is it possible? I appreciate your help.

Thanks.
Arun.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I would recommend installing ssh on your tablet and WinSCP on your laptop, if you want access to the tablet's files on your laptop. If your laptop has bluetooth, you can use that, too.

Unless your laptop's shared folders have no passwords on them (anyone can get full access), you're going to have to mount them using the command line methods discussed in this thread.

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Richmond, VA, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
... Theoretically, you should be able to put your mount statements into /etc/fstab as "no auto" and then mount them once you connect to the network, but I can't test that since "regular" mount doesn't work for me.
You may want to try this:
  1. Create a bash script with the mount commands for your various smb shares that you want to mount.
  2. Copy the script to /etc/network/if-up.d/

In theory (and all appropriate disclaimers to such), this should attempt to establish your mounts every time your network successfully connects. I'm still working out how you could make this sensitive to executing only for particular connections (e.g. only mount home computer shares when your connection SSID is your home wireless router, etc.)

I'll play with it tonight and let you know the results.

Qole: Have you tried using vanilla mount with the object credentials PRE-ceding the mount point details in your command line argument list? I think I saw that as a possible solution either in this thread or elsewhere in the forums.

Cheers,
Etienne

Originally Posted by JELaVallee View Post
In theory (and all appropriate disclaimers to such), this should attempt to establish your mounts every time your network successfully connects. I'm still working out how you could make this sensitive to executing only for particular connections (e.g. only mount home computer shares when your connection SSID is your home wireless router, etc.)
At the moment, I have a couple of scripts, one for when I'm at home, and one for when I'm on the road. When I'm on the road, I use ukki's sshfs to mount my drives over an encrypted tunnel.

I've discovered that mounting network shares can be a bad thing; the media file crawler thingy (metalayer-crawler) can wander off onto your network folders and really bog your system down.

Originally Posted by JELaVallee View Post
Qole: Have you tried using vanilla mount with the object credentials PRE-ceding the mount point details in your command line argument list? I think I saw that as a possible solution either in this thread or elsewhere in the forums.
Yeah. I tried everything. But mount.cifs does the job, so I'm OK.

Does anyone know if Qole's instruction here works for Diablo ? If not, is there another way to access CIFS shares in Diablo ? I tried Wizard Mounter but it does not work in Diablo.

Do your shares show up in file manager under "Shared Folders"? Most Windows shares will just automatically show up there. If they are passworded or otherwise secured, you'll probably still have to get the cifs stuff from fanoush and Debian as per my previous instructions (or use Easy Debian )

EDIT: See my next post for updated Diablo stuff.

Last edited by qole; 2008-11-21 at 03:42.