Active Topics

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
What can we do to give our old N900 new lease of life? Any ideas/proposals to use old N900 devices?

Games - new phone (Android) games are better
Camera - new phone camera is better
GPS - can't get voice navigation

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
if you search hard, Sygic Mobile Maps 10 can be installed, but, maps are very old as they stopped in ... well, years ago.

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Jul 2013 @ Pondokgede, Indonesia
yes, we all hope more updated today apps and "clients" , just like yappari

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
if you search hard, Sygic Mobile Maps 10 can be installed, but, maps are very old as they stopped in ... well, years ago.
Nope, maps for Malaysia (where I am) is not and has not been available long, long time ago.

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 367 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy
Waze (from repos) and Navit (from bokomoko repos http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=38800&page=52) have voice navigation

http://wiki.maemo.org/Navigation_Tools

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Joseph.skb View Post
Any ideas/proposals to use old N900 devices?
  • Phone
  • Media player
  • Home file/media/web server
  • Radio repeater
  • Portable computer
  • All the above failing, write your own application

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
What can we do to give our old N900 new lease of life? Any ideas/proposals to use old N900 devices?

Games - new phone (Android) games are better
Camera - new phone camera is better
GPS - can't get voice navigation
Marble can do voice nav, though it doesn't override mediaplayer so if you're using the FM transmitter to play podcasts or suchlike on the car radio you won't hear it.

I'm trying to get extkbd set up so I can use an old n900 with knackered SIM connector as a computer n my big screen via tv-out and SCART adapter.

If you have a UK proxy you can use a combination of get_iplayer and alarmed to download all the BBC content you want for later perusal. I also use alarmed with the command line of gpodder to get all the podcasts I'm subscriber to overnight when my wifi is unlinited.

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
For about $10 and a USB host cable you can make a N900 into a pretty insanely capable radio scanner, better than any of the scanners at Radio Shack selling for $200-300 or more.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=91182

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
You must have thought about the universal IR remote control thanks to the software called Pierogi?

My old JVC amplifier has no more remote and volume knob is behaving erratically, potentially damaging the speakers but N900 came to the rescue.

The quick document scanner application "Frontview" is still one of the most user friendly softwares. Thanks to the resistive screen - stylus operation. A guilded paperweight N900 still makes sense

Last edited by ste-phan; 2014-06-16 at 13:17.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 383 | Thanked: 344 times | Joined on Jun 2013 @ Greece, Athens
I was thinking about a case mod...
I think that if neo900 will continue and give a new life to n900 it could be cool if someone(maybe someone with 3d printer) could make a new design or redesign the old n900 and give him a new more modern look!

I mean many people get a phone only because of the look and the design! Even if we want a phone capable to do many things, like n900 does, what stops us from making it look better too?

I think that the look of the n900 is a little outdated(it looks more like a -powerful- brick :P)! It could be awesome if we, as community, we could start making a new design for the n900 hardware and making a new, more attractive case, without changing anything else(like the screen etc...)

What do you think?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bill_klpd For This Useful Post: