Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Having the last 5 uploads at view is very useful, but what about having more? Or a link with a page with the last 100, or the last 7 days, or considering how cheap the kb are just a log of packages uploaded.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Cool: http://maemo.org/packages/repository...ree_armel/all/

Thanks!

Now, what about showing off some real time stats? For instance, today I counted 1.400 packages in extras-devel (!), from which about 150 show up in the app manager.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 152 | Thanked: 620 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Netherlands
Added a few white boxes so at least get a bit less rough look. Still need to work on some functionality before I have time to make it pretty

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to X-Fade For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
I like the boxes in the sidebar, but the font is WAY too small.

The individual package pages are looking great!

Tim

The Following User Says Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Suggestion: drop the <div class="dt">Description:</div>, and instead put class="dt" on the first <p> element in the description (based on this page).

I think there are similar things that could be done with font sizes, effects and colours to eliminate the "section" and "maintainer" fields as well.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jaffa; 2009-08-20 at 15:37. Reason: Don't need the [img] tag

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Suggestion: drop the <div class="dt">Description:</div>, and instead put class="dt" on the first <p> element in the description (based on this page).

I think there are similar things that could be done with font sizes, effects and colours to eliminate the "section" and "maintainer" fields as well.
Yes that is a good idea - remove redundant headings.

But again I hope there is a way to put in (mandatory) a one line or two line description of the package. Often time with open source packages maintainer dont bother to put in any description - as if every user knows what some "curl" package is supposed to do and function.

The Following User Says Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post:
Moving along nicely, no additional help needed?

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 620 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Done

Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
But again I hope there is a way to put in (mandatory) a one line or two line description of the package. Often time with open source packages maintainer dont bother to put in any description - as if every user knows what some "curl" package is supposed to do and function.
These descriptions are fetched from the packages themselves. I guess we can do some limited automated checking based on number of chars, but that is about as much as we can do.

Of course the whole community QA part can and will take care of the rest. If people vote the package down because the description is bad, then it will be pretty obvious for the maintainer.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to X-Fade For This Useful Post:
Can the extras-testing pages show in the right column extras-testing "news" instead of the curremt extras-devel lists? For instance, last packages promoted to extras-testing and top apps awaiting more evaluation sorted by karma.

Then it would be great if new apps and updates could be easier to distinguish. In principle, a new app landing in extras-testing requires more attention and concentrated effort than the update of an app already available in Extras.

Then a feed could be used to call for evaluation of new apps and updates.

Note that the evaluation of updates is much easier when the developers provide a decent and reliable changelog or release notes. If it's clear that an update consists only on fixes in text strings there is no strong need to recheck all the functionality or e.g. power management.

Note that the evaluation of updates is much easier when the developers provide a decent and reliable changelog or release notes. If it's clear that an update consists only on fixes in text strings there is no strong need to recheck all the functionality or e.g. power management.
I have requested from X-Fade that debian/changelog would be linked to package page. Maybe the last entry could be shown automatically. This way changelog is easy to access and it has to be written only once

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:

Tags
css, help wanted, packages