Upon reading your post more clearly, I realize you only needed the last line of code after I enter dmesg. It is:
Code:
 [194132.632812] EAC mode: play enabled, rec enabled[194135.132812] EAC mode: play disabled, rec disabled
[194135.414062] EAC mode: play enabled, rec enabled/usr/bin
And thanks again for the help.

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
quick insmod primer:
insmod isn't installing the driver so much as loading it. Put the driver (also known as a kernel module) wherever you want. Traditionally, the place to put it is somewhere under /lib/modules/"the current kernel version"/kernel/drivers . If this is your own project, put it wherever it makes sense to you. You will need to reload it every time you reboot.

quick paths primer:
paths come in two varieties: absolute and relative. Say you're currently in /root/ and your kernel module is in /root/foo/my_module.ko . To use insmod from here you can use either the absolute path:
insmod /root/foo/my_module.ko
or the relative path:
insmod foo/my_module.ko

quick primer on what was meant by `uname -r`:
there are two parts to this. The first part to talk about is what the command uname -r does. It simply prints the current release version of the Linux kernel ("r" for release). On my desktop linux box when I type uname -r it gives me: 2.6.24-1-686 . when you put it in back-ticks (that's what this is: ` ) it means "Take the output of the command in the backticks and substitute it in place." So if I type on my desktop linux box:
mkdir `uname -r`
it's the same (for me!) as typing:
mkdir 2.6.24-1-686
By doing it this way, you don't have to type a different command when you are on a different kernel version. (Purely for reference, $(uname -r) has the same result as `uname -r`).

If you haven't done so already, I would *highly* suggest that you grab yourself a free copy of vmware player or vmware server and install (or use a pre-existing) image to run Linux on your desktop (inside windows) so you have a sandbox to play around in. The tablet is a hard, unforgiving place to learn Linux, especially since it has somewhat limited utilities and no man pages.

Please feel free to ask questions though. We were all new once!

-John

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Johnx For This Useful Post:
The info in Johnx's post was very informative. It was all good stuff to know. I am a total linux noob. In addition to my n800, I also have a laptop running ubuntu, so I also have that as a resource to learn from. But I'm afraid I still 'don't know how to solve my problem.

In post 9 qwerty12 suggests the reason I'm getting the following response from xterm
Code:
 insmod: cannot insert 'usr/bin/ftdi_sio,ko': Unknown symbol in module (-1): No such file or directory
is because I may be missing some other module that is require in order for me to make this work.

Does that seem like it is likely to be the problem I'm having? Can anyone tell me what that module might be, and what I should do to get everything working right?

Thanks for all the help.

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
You're definitely missing a module (or more than one). The clue is in the dmesg output you posted:
[194124.429687] ftdi_sio: Unknown symbol usb_serial_disconnect
[194124.429687] ftdi_sio: Unknown symbol usb_serial_probe
[194124.429687] ftdi_sio: Unknown symbol usb_serial_register
[194124.429687] ftdi_sio: Unknown symbol usb_serial_deregister
Based on this, I would guess that the module you need has usb and serial in the name. Maybe usbserial.ko or usb-serial.ko or usb_serial.ko.

-John

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnx For This Useful Post:
Ok, I think I've got it figured out now. In the package that I got from fanoush there were multiple driver modules. I didn't realize that I needed to install the usbserial.ko before I installed the ftdi_sio.ko module. Sure enough, when I install the former, the later seems to install with no problem.

Thanks for the info. I'm sure you're right about the tablet being a hard way to learn linux. But I haven't found a better forum for gleaning info than this one. The ubuntu forum is pretty good too, but there is so much info there it's a little hard to sift through at times. I have gotten some good help there too.

Thanks again.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cmdowns For This Useful Post:
Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
I am not having this problem.

I don't expect to have this problem.

Nonetheless, I found reading this entire thread compelling. More than that: inspiring, even. First, for cmdown's persistence in the face of repeated attempts not resolving the situation; second, for briand's and qwerty12's and johnx's helpfulness in guiding cmsdown to resolution, and third, for johnx's very clear statements about insmod, paths and uname.

Feels like real community to me. Thanks to all of you.

Roger

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RogerS For This Useful Post:
Thanks to CMDowns and Fanoush for the help.

I've now got Arduino talking to N810 and probably N900 is equivalent.

Can avoid more comments like these on our Nokia hacks...
http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/21/n...ents/21792620/

They've got a point about the bluetooth module. Serial would be better, and we can now use that instead.

The only reason we were using bluetooth is we didn't get hold of the right cable in time and had only 3 weeks to hack the exhibits together so when we had it working we left it alone..