I finally received my N810 yesterday after waiting more than 2 weeks for a slow boat from walmart.com. While waiting for the tablet I studied the info on this web site.

After charging the battery I tried to run the software update wizard. Unfortunately, WinXP pops up a "Found New Hardware Wizard" that fails, preventing me from using the Nokia "Software Update Wizard".

Here is the exact sequence of what I did:
1. Start Nokia Software update wizard software on my WinXP PC.
2. When prompted, connect USB cable to the N810.
3. Power up N810 in Update Mode (pressing SWAP and PWR).
4. N810 goes into software update mode (USB icon in upper right).
5. WinXP pops up Found New Hardware Wizard for "Nokia N810 (Update Mode)".
6. I click "Install this hardware automatically".
7. After a few seconds WinXP returns "Cannot Install this Hardware".
8. I cancel the failed Windows New Hardware Wizard.
9. After cancelling the New Hardware Wizard, the "Next" button in the N810 Software Update Wizard" is not accessible. The program won't do anything, apparently because of the failed New Hardware Update.

My question is, obviously, how do I resolve the WinXP New Hardware Issue so that I can actually run the N810 Software Update Wizard?

By the way, my PC talks to the N810 just fine in peripheral mode. I downloaded MP3s and Bookmarks with no problem.

Wayne Estes

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Wayne Estes View Post
7. After a few seconds WinXP returns "Cannot Install this Hardware".
Do you also have Nokia PC Suite installed?

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Wayne - What is the version of the operating system on your N810?

The operating system is OS2008 version 1.2007.42-19.

I installed Nokia's Software Update Wizard and Video Converter. Nokia PC Suite is not installed.

I just now installed the latest "Connectivity Cable Driver" from Nokia. I tried manually directing the New Hardware Wizard to both the "Connectivity Cable Driver" and the "Flashing Cable Driver". Neither prevents the New Hardware Wizard from failing.

I'm dumbfounded that:
1. The factory-installed Skype download application DOESN'T WORK with the factory-installed OS.
2. Nokia's Software Update Wizard DOESN'T WORK with WinXP.

Wayne Estes

Last edited by Wayne Estes; 2009-02-25 at 10:57.

My problem is solved after a long phone call with Nokia tech support. The problem was that I connected the USB cable to a 4-port USB2.0 PCI card.

The Software Update Wizard troubleshooting guide says not to connect the USB cable to a USB hub. I ignored that because WinXP device manager doesn't regard my 4-port USB2.0 PCI card to be a USB hub. But apparently the Nokia software DOES regard my 4-port USB2.0 PCI card to be a USB hub.

I successfully updated the OS after plugging the USB cable into a USB1.1 port that came with the 8-year old desktop computer. Whew!

Wayne Estes

p.s. As expected, the Skype application download was successful after updating the OS.

Last edited by Wayne Estes; 2009-02-25 at 22:54.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wayne Estes For This Useful Post:
Just have to ask. Wayne, are you related to the late great Wayne Estes from Anaconda MT?

Not that I know of. Also no relation to the late Utah basketball player.

Wayne Estes