Posts: 271 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on May 2006 @ Aperture Science, Inc.
Heya,

I'm wondering what the backplate of the n900 is made of, and if it would be possible to laser-etch it.

Here are some examples what can be done with laser etching:

The original Kindle2 "Don't Panic etch (with video)

step by step with powerbook

Etched Blackberries and cameras and whatnot.

Can anyone with a n900 prototype comment on the material that is used for the backplate?

Or does anybody have experience with laser-etched stuff?

The Following User Says Thank You to quingu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Seemed plastic. Now, the trouble is if it's genuinely dark-gray plastic (not just painted/coated) as then the etchings won't be too visible - you'll notice that in your links people etched something light in color, or something painted.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
I guess Im in the minority, I want a device to be totally free of all markings and logos.

The Following User Says Thank You to munky261 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Well then it's a minority atleast of two

I prefer a clean device as well. Even the current branding is a bit much.

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
if its plastic or even then metal you can etch both. I have had several of my devices etched, my PSP turned out the best its Silver pained Yellow Plastic so it really shows up. That my one wife had etched for our first anniversary I'll never forget our anniversary because the date is on the back.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
I also like my devices with no logos and such. On the other hand it's sort of cool that the N900 has "ARM Cortex-A8 | 32GB" on the back. For me the amount of branding on the N900 is still ok.

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by Richrd View Post
On the other hand it's sort of cool that the N900 has "ARM Cortex-A8 | 32GB" on the back.
... until the first time you meet the person with "64GB" on the back of theirs.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I'm no laser etching expert, but the back cover is made of black plastic as attila77 said.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Anything can be laser etched, even diamonds. As for dark plastic, etch it then squeegee in a lighter colored paint. They can also etch it then sprinkle on I think it's plastic powder then reburn at a lower wattage. It will melt in the plastic into the original etching.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Last edited by barry99705; 2009-09-24 at 13:29.

Posts: 150 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Madrid, Spain
Originally Posted by munky261 View Post
I guess Im in the minority, I want a device to be totally free of all markings and logos.
Me too, I want to decorate my own device! It looks like I'm going to have to remove my Rainbow Bright & Barney stickers and place them on my device and "make it mine" hehe.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zkyevolved For This Useful Post: