Posts: 35 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Moscow
Originally Posted by Hoshiro View Post
same here!
overclocking the ARM processor did't help shoot a descent video in night mode...
probably cause the dsp is in total control of this job...
so, it would be interesting to see it being overclocked!!
Hoshiro, video in night mode isn't smooth not because DSP or processor slow, but because matrix accumulating light for a long time (like shutter speed). n900 lowers fps to achieve night mode.

assuming it's overclockable, I just wanna know if it will at least let us play hd videos/movies through vlc or other player?

From the OMAP spec sheets it was iirc theoretically possible to decode HD video, but it really depends on the codec running on the IVA+ (aka DSP+associated coprocessors).

I'd not worry too much about the DSP speed until you've benchmarked the existing codec (assuming there is one that can decode HD video, I've never tried) and instead get your DSP coding hat on

Originally Posted by lardman View Post
It currently uses the DSP for video decoding afaik.
And while we're on this thread, the DSP is also used to process the data taken by the camera app - I guess this is mainly to take advantage of the quick JPEG encode, but probably also handles effects and other odds and ends if required.

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Wasn't the DSP and CPU on the same chip? Thus making it pretty hard to controll individually. In the undervolting case anyway. Changing the settings could make the system unstable and would not make a big deifferens.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
I can shoot nicely, even in night mode, when disabling ALL indexing/tumbnailing/every other action in Tracker-config. And restart the tracker deamon. It seems tracker is the culprit for stuttering video recording. Also closing down the network connections helps.

I really wonder if nobody can make a plugin/dbus listener whenever the camera app (or fcam or blessn900) starts, that all tracker activity gets frozen and restored (as per settings before starting the camera app(s) + going into off-line mode. Make an exception for qik please ...
It's an oversight of Nokia NOT to freeze as much as possible before ding these highly cpu intensive things like shooting video.

I agree we have a nice multi tasking device but I really don't want to read my emails or listen to music when recording a video ... So why not freeze all non-essential activity, only in this very high CPU demand case of course. Otherwise we end up with an iPhone ...
A bit of pragmatism/realism on a restricted resources device as the N900 is needed sometimes....

With Titan Kernels it is possible to make a custom config.

I'm running my DSP@500Mhz starting from 600 Mhz cpu clock and like this up to 900Mhz

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by xabaras View Post
With Titan Kernels it is possible to make a custom config.

I'm running my DSP@500Mhz starting from 600 Mhz cpu clock and like this up to 900Mhz
But does it make any differens? I have tried that too.. but didn't feel anything.

Maybe it's just "placebo" effect but i believe it makes a slight difference playing movies with mplayer/sib...

but as i said may be only placebo...

I didn't notice any difference between stock DSP (430MHZ) and overclocked (500MHZ) so I just leave it at 430 MHZ, you should do the same if you don't see any difference too.