Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
Hi,
I'm new to this linux world but with IT in my hand I've been recently trying to get into it. I use windows vista in my PC and I've recently installed andLinux and also scratchbox. But as this scratchbox can't be run as user root I tried to hit the code to create user but I get error "-bash: sudo: command not found". I also tried using the command "/scratchbox/sbin/sbox_adduser USER yes" but now I get: "User USER does not exit in the system, aborting." So, can you please tell me what should i do. Thanks

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
You need to create a user in andLinux, then add that user to the Scratchbox environment. (You are trying to add a user called "USER" which does not exist.)

Add a non-root user to andLinux: http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/opsys/linux/L...x-adduser.html

Then follow the step-by-step instructions located here: http://www.progbox.co.uk/wordpress/?p=453
Apple 68k Mac: Basilisk II
Commodore 64: Frodo
Palm OS: Access GarnetVM
TI-89 Calculator: TiEmu 2

Thank you for the reply. Luckily I did the same. I used the following code to create user:

# useradd Name
#passwd Name

Then I was able to create user in scratchbox as well with the same Name. Then I exited from scratchbox with 'Ctrl+D' cmd and then typed the #wget http://repository.maemo.org/stable/4...stall_4.0.1.sh but I got error that it can't write to "maemo-sdk-install_4.0.1.sh" so I went to the root directory from the same user(not root) and gave the cmd #./maemo-sdk-install_4.0.1.sh as I got this file from the same wget cmd when I was root. It luckily started off well but later it gave me error that no space in disk. So, how can I increase the disk size for it and also is my process alright? THanks.

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
In order to make room for all the SDK files, you either have to:
  1. Carefully remove many Linux packages from andLinux using the Synaptic Package Manager
  2. or resize the container file to make it bigger using the files inside ImageResizeTool.zip in the andLinux directory.
Apple 68k Mac: Basilisk II
Commodore 64: Frodo
Palm OS: Access GarnetVM
TI-89 Calculator: TiEmu 2

Hi,
I now installed everything even the xephyr and while executing the cmd # Xephyr :2 -host-cursor -screen 800x480x16 -dpi 96 -ac -extension Composite. I got error so I did the apt-get install xfonts-base. At the end of the installation I got some warnings saying that sth(I can't say exactly as I erased it while trying to run cmds) is not a file or directory. After that i did the copying SecurityPolicy thing as well and again run the same command and now it showed up but blank like this:

The error messages are as follows:
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
xfonts-base is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 29 not upgraded.
[root@andLinux ~]# Xephyr :2 -host-cursor -screen 800x480x16 -dpi 96 -ac -extens
ion Composite

Xephyr unable to use SHM XImages
error opening security policy file /etc/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy
Extended Input Devices not yet supported. Impelement it at line 625 in ../../../
../hw/kdrive/src/kinput.c
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic, removing from li
st!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled, removing
from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled, removing
from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi, removing from list
!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueTyp
e, removing from list!
X connection to 192.168.11.1:0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
[root@andLinux ~]#

Last edited by jaeezzy; 2008-08-11 at 11:29.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
I see some people talking about running KDE in a VM on Windows. You can also run KDE natively on Windows. See http://windows.kde.org

Also, some GTK/GNOME applications already run on Windows native e.g. GIMP, Evolution.

Running native is cleaner, and probably faster, too.

Why, is there no solution for it? Btw, I can compile and run C++ in IT itself, and jalimo is there for java and I think thats enough for me. So, I think I should give andLinux a miss. andLinux will be sadly missed....