Hello. I am blackheart(not really). I love thoughtfix, but I love the Nokia tablets even more. Until now, I've had a Palm TX and an iPod touch. I gave them to my brother and with the help of my parents, I am gonna get an n810 soon(next week). I can't wait. I wanted one since they appeared. I never actually touched a Nokia tablet before, but from what I've seen in some videos, they are not hard to use. I hope Maemo is great. I saw somebody install KDE on it. Is it KDE over Maemo, or is it running on top of other OS. I tend to think that it is just the KDE interface running on Maemo since it loads very fast(about 10-15 seconds). So it's possible! I've also seen Debian with XFCE interface(only pictures). Is that real? Or just a scam? SO this new thread was just an intro(not really) of myself until now.

So...Do you guys enjoy using Maemo? Using its native interface? Or do you have other OS installed? How's OS2008 on the n810? Does it ever freeze? Is it running slow with some specific tasks? Which are those tasks?

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
Hi Blackheart. Maemo and the Nokia Internet Tablets are great for surfing the web, reading eBooks, and a number of other things. KDE is rather neat on my N800, but I imagine it's even better on a N810 due to the keyboard. You will see first hard how it is when you get your N810.
Apple 68k Mac: Basilisk II
Commodore 64: Frodo
Palm OS: Access GarnetVM
TI-89 Calculator: TiEmu 2

I've only owned my N810 for about a month and kind of like the original OS (maemo). For one thing, the apps are amazingly tiny.

Probably the bigger concern is that a touchscreen is NOT a mouse. Try middle-clicking or "hovering" over something with a touch screen. The keyboard is not fully qwerty either. So unless the GUI makes these adjustments, some things are going to be awkward.

I don't know the details, but I believe KDE really is KDE running on it (doesn't make much sense otherwise to me). I haven't looked in to the Debian stuff much either (yet?), but most of what I've seen mentions chroot (eg a mostly complete system inside of the existing one).

Note that Maemo is a full system (include matchbox as the desktop environment), whereas KDE is just the desktop environment. Debian is more of a similar comparison.

Also, keep in mind that a lot of these take a decent amount of work to get installed and working, so you shouldn't expect them at the flip of a switch Check out the wiki link here for tons of info about what you can do with the n810.

One other thing -- I've heard some mention of Nokia having a mystery site and possibly releasing a new product soon, so you might want to wait for that. Maybe someone else has some more info about that.

Hope you enjoy your internet tablet. It's been a ton of fun to play with so far, I'm definitely enjoying it as my gps/media player system in my car.