Posts: 99 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Tampere, Finland
So, is XT9 Handwriting Recognition already part of the new OS or is it coming later?

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
While I'm of course always excited to learn about new technologies, I am not at all happy to learn that this is apparently planned for the N800.

Why? It's closed source, proprietary code again. When the original 770 came out and included some proprietary parts, my expectation was that they were used only for a quick start to fill in the gaps. I hoped that Nokia would either actively support free projects to supply alternatives or develop those alternatives and make them available as parts of the free platform.

With OS2007, it seems we're moving to the other side very quickly: First they announced Skype where they should have improved GTalk and SIP-handling. Now they include patented XT9 technology instead of trying to imprvove existing GPLed projects. What will be next?

Again, I'm not trying to say XT9 isn't a good thing. It certainly is. Such as MS Windows is a good operating system. I only wonder if the N800 maybe not only introduces technical changes, but also a change of concept: will the N900 be a closed, non-hackable box such as any other device?.

Last edited by benny1967; 2007-01-10 at 13:21.

HWR could be good, but I for one isn't much interested in the T9 guesswork system. I know most people love it on their phones, but to me T9 has always been completely in the way, what it guesses at is never even close and it gets impossible to write anything. It's the first thing I disable when I get a new phone. I can enter text quickly one character by one anyway.
(If I ever wanted a mechanism like that then it should be like how abbrev-mode works in Emacs.)

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
HWR could be good, but I for one isn't much interested in the T9 guesswork system. I know most people love it on their phones, but to me T9 has always been completely in the way, what it guesses at is never even close and it gets impossible to write anything. It's the first thing I disable when I get a new phone. I can enter text quickly one character by one anyway.
(If I ever wanted a mechanism like that then it should be like how abbrev-mode works in Emacs.)
XT9 is not tap-tap, it's a full-blown handwriting recognition engine that allows you to write, in cursive, everywhere on the screen. It's a bit like PenOffice for Windows or -- if you're one of the Sacred Few who've experienced it -- the Newton's handwriting recognition.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
While I'm of course always excited to learn about new technologies, I am not at all happy to learn that this is apparently planned for the N800.

Why? It's closed source, proprietary code again. When the original 770 came out and included some proprietary parts, my expectation was that they were used only for a quick start to fill in the gaps. I hoped that Nokia would either actively support free projects to supply alternatives or develop those alternatives and make them available as parts of the free platform.

With OS2007, it seems we're moving to the other side very quickly: First they announced Skype where they should have improved GTalk and SIP-handling. Now they include patented XT9 technology instead of trying to imprvove existing GPLed projects. What will be next?

Again, I'm not trying to say XT9 isn't a good thing. It certainly is. Such as MS Windows is a good operating system. I only wonder if the N800 maybe not only introduces technical changes, but also a change of concept: will the N900 be a closed, non-hackable box such as any other device?.
I feel your Open Source pain.

However, do note that there exist exactly zero -- as in: none -- Open Source handwriting recognition engines for Linux -- or for any other platform that I know of (warez don't count). The best ever made for Linux was Xstroke, a copy of Graffiti2, and that one's essentially dead.[*]

If I have to choose between no Open Source solution and an excellent (from what I've been told) Closed Source one... Well, let's just say I won't be in dilemma for more than a couple of microseconds.
____
[*] It's a pity, really. I'm on the Xstroke mailing list, and a while back someone (Dr. Limburg IIRC) proposed he'd merge his own HWR neural net algorythms into Xstroke, thereby transforming it into a real HWR solution. I haven't heard from him since that one message.

Oh, almost forgot: Is XT9 in the N800 or not? 'cuz If it's in, I'll buy one the next second.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Oh, almost forgot: Is XT9 in the N800 or not? 'cuz If it's in, I'll buy one the next second.
Wish I could answer but I don't know that one. I'll post as soon as (if) I find out.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
If I have to choose between no Open Source solution and an excellent (from what I've been told) Closed Source one... Well, let's just say I won't be in dilemma for more than a couple of microseconds.
I'm a militant extremist. I don't have Flash on my desktop PC and don't play MP3 files.
So for me it's absolutely clear I'd rather have no solution than a proprietary one.

I only wanted to issue my concerns, though. I'm not going to make you delete your *.mp3 and *.doc and *.wmv

BTW, I didn't know that all free HWR projects are dead? I don't have the slightest idea about this kind of software, but when Google returned promising results on "handwriting recognition gpl", I thought it's only a matter of a few fin(n)ish(ing) touches. Well, it's a cruel world.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Apparently XT9 HWR is not in the N800, according to sources on #maemo.

Originally Posted by aflegg View Post
Apparently XT9 HWR is not in the N800, according to sources on #maemo.
Figures...