Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
He he. WP is based on Windows Embedded Compact 7 core (eventually). It has two main advantages over Linux/Unix: it is a true real-time kernel
It is? When did they make it realtime, and is it hard-realtime or soft-realtime (not that realtime operation matters for anything but the baseband, which is totally isolated anyway.)

Scaling up is a matter of making drivers.
That's not what people refer to when they talk about something "scaling up."

But scaling down is impossible with Linux.
Really? That's news to me, and probably also to all the people using it in systems with no MMU and for realtime purposes. But then by your definition all you need to do is drop drivers and you've scaled down.

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
But scaling down is impossible with Linux.
No matter what your definition of "scaling down" is, this makes zero sense.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
It has two main advantages over Linux/Unix: it is a true real-time kernel, and it can be scaled down.
Been there, done that.

Scaling up is no problem for WP, it already runs on dual core and is true multitasking. Scaling up is a matter of making drivers.
Cool, I can't wait to see the drivers Microsoft puts out to allow Windows CE to compete with Linux in the supercomputer market.

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
My microcontroller with external oscillator is a hard realtime capable system with offline scheduling.

Does that improve its usability as a mobile phone/mobile computer?

You won't run a flight system controller or a surgical robot with either a windows or a linux phone.

The stock capabilities of linux or windows as realtime os for hard rt systems are comparable and fairly poor. Which is why there are dedicated realtime operating systems.

Last edited by wildwaldbiberhirte; 2011-02-24 at 23:49.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
No matter what your definition of "scaling down" is, this makes zero sense.
For you, yes. For the largest manufacturer of mobile phones in the world, no.

You are just a bunch of Linux zealots. Linux is nothing but a simplistic/brute force bloated piece of software, with the only real advantage of being simplistic. Works well on high spec HW (but so does Windows XP).

Anyway, tell me what kind of problems Windows Embedded Compact has with scaling up, other than including proper drivers for new HW. Then explain why this is any different for Linux.

For you, yes. For the largest manufacturer of mobile phones in the world, no.

You are just a bunch of Linux zealots. Linux is nothing but a simplistic/brute force bloated piece of software, with the only real advantage of being simplistic. Works well on high spec HW (but so does Windows XP).

Anyway, tell me what kind of problems Windows Embedded Compact has with scaling up, other than including proper drivers for new HW. Then explain why this is any different for Linux.
Holy ****, is this bro for real?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I'm not seeing any experts contributing hard facts to back up either side of this debate.

Thus this debate is worthless
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I'm not seeing any experts contributing hard facts to back up either side of this debate.

I thought this was another whining thread

Moving along now, I know practically nothin' about hard facts as an end-user

...besides it's crap

Originally Posted by wildwaldbiberhirte View Post
The stock capabilities of linux or windows as realtime os for hard rt systems are comparable and fairly poor. Which is why there are dedicated realtime operating systems.
Linux is comparable to Windows 7 (NT) in terms of RT, that is completely off the charts regarding RT but good at running tons of processes where exact timing is no issue, like on a PC.

For mobile phones, running tons of processes has limited advantage, but RT capabilities becomes increasingly important when the HW spec gets lower and simpler. Nokia is in the need for something that also work well in the sub 200$ range to replace Symbian, and that doesn't suck the life out of the batteries in a couple of hours.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post

The logic of your argument is wrong. Debates do not require experts, only different opinions. Since you are not contributing with an opinion, you are worthless.

Tags
bada rox, give me bada, meego rules, sir abill sir !, windowsce blows