Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
2016 is dwindling to closure and the verdict seems to be same as previous years;
The best handheld gnu/linux machine is still N900.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
2016 is dwindling to closure and the verdict seems to be same as previous years;
I concur...

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following User Says Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Hope something new come out in 2017!

Maybe OP can change the title to 2017 then we need to find tome rivals to challenge the mighty N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
You know what should come out in 2017? Nokia should reverse their stance on Maemo/MeeGo, come out with a handheld device, dunno... let's call it an Internet Tablet, and spend the time to embrace the community (at least the good parts of it) and produce a new device that runs an alternative OS yet has somewhat decent support from folks like Microsoft (Skype), Firefox or Opera and get a good chipset with decent drivers that are also opensource.

Just a thought... no more waiting for stuff to come out or be reverse engineered. Just a step since Nokia needs to differentiate themselves from almost everybody else and Android ain't gonna do it.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
a new device that runs an alternative OS yet has somewhat decent support from folks like Microsoft (Skype), Firefox or Opera and get a good chipset with decent drivers that are also opensource.
So normies could wait till someone ports Android to that and reflash immediately?

Seriously though, few years ago I think I remember HTC making a device that was available either with Windows Mobile/Phone/CE or with Android (maybe under different model name, but hardware was the same), it could be a path that would look more profitable to Nokia (but I doubt it would be even considered anyway, those are just irrational dreams).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Nokia should [...] come out with a handheld device [...]
Does it have to be Nokia? Why?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Good question, really.

Could be anyone of course, but I guess hoping for Nokia presence is to have something for the masses too; currently Nokia only cares for business-to-business market and has really given up on consumer market.

There's Withings of coure, as it's now incorporated into Nokia there might be some new developments on that front.

My personal belief is that if something new comes out in 2017 it'll be something like that, it sure won't be anything to do with phones or tablets; there just is no business there, no possibility to have enough revenue to attract Nokia to that market.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
It doesn't have to be.

But if anybody could do it, why not Nokia? I do not anticipate a device from: Apple, HTC, LG, Sony or much of any other reputable device manufacturer. And I'm sorry, but I'm really damn tired of waiting on these no-named folks delivering stuff that's barely a step above ****.

Simply stated, only Nokia has something to prove. Win the geeks with Maemo, win the masses that can't afford a smartphone with their current cheap devices. Win by actually being different and not making the same form factor and device as everybody else using a mobile OS that everybody is also using.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I disagree, the Best GNU/Linux device is the one you build yourself. This year building one yourself will become more viable.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Comp...-production-10

Honestly I think there is an opportunity for GNU/Linux to succeed on phones. Android is decent but there is room for improvement. Given that Apple and Microsoft have both been floundering a new competitor is needed. No technology market can thrive with a monopoly, some sort of second competitor is needed.

Tizen has had remarkable growth and I do think it will eventually have critical mass with Samsung behind it. That said more effort is needed in order for it to reach critical mass. For one less fragmentation Tizen and Sailfish should either be merged or there needs to assurance of compatibility between each other so they can run the same packages. Maybe Samsung should acquire Jolla. Likewise Ubuntu and Tizen should also be compatible with each other. There is a future for GNU Linux devices provided we all work together to make it happen. We also need more hardware Android's success is from the wealth of hardware it has, GNU linux needs a similar wealth of hardware.

Android as well as Pocketpc, Symbian, and Palm Os revolutionized mobile devices and Tizen or Sailfish can revolutionize mobile devices once again.

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:

Tags
f*ck apple, f*ck google, f*ck microsoft, gnu telephony, gnu/linux, linux deploy