Active Topics

Posts: 70 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Mexico City
Here's something very strange. I have an N9 that I bought here in Mexico. [The glass is damaged and is the reason I ordered the other two phones from China.] The SIM card holder says it is an 059L449. The QR code on the device confirms that it is an 059L449. But identifies it's firmware as generic Latin America: DF61_HARMATTAN_40.2012.21-3 PR 001, not the product code variant of DFL61 HARMATTAN 40.2012.21-3.420.4 PR 420 for the N9 RM-696 Telcel MX MX Black V3.
About 6 months ago, I tried to get Telcel (Evil Carlos Slim corp) to unlock the SIM and they couldn't do it. So, I took the phone to someone who had an ATF dongle and used a service to brute force the code. I know that they didn't download or install another firmware. How did the phone change (downgrade) to a generic FW?
Attached Images

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by raulito View Post
Here's something very strange. I have an N9 that I bought here in Mexico. [The glass is damaged and is the reason I ordered the other two phones from China.] The SIM card holder says it is an 059L449. The QR code on the device confirms that it is an 059L449. But identifies it's firmware as generic Latin America: DF61_HARMATTAN_40.2012.21-3 PR 001, not the product code variant of DFL61 HARMATTAN 40.2012.21-3.420.4 PR 420 for the N9 RM-696 Telcel MX MX Black V3.
About 6 months ago, I tried to get Telcel (Evil Carlos Slim corp) to unlock the SIM and they couldn't do it. So, I took the phone to someone who had an ATF dongle and used a service to brute force the code. I know that they didn't download or install another firmware. How did the phone change (downgrade) to a generic FW?
Thats easy: they changed from PR1.2(or older) 420 variant to PR1.3 001, as its not downgrading if you upgrade from PR1.[0-2] to PR1.3 001, even if you 'downgrade' virtually, but in fact PR1.3 001 has newer timestamp than any PR1.[0-2] variant.

PS. There is also an exploit for non-003 variants that could be in theory used to downgrade even PR1.3 variants back to 001, but that doesn't help on your 003 cmt devices.

Well atleast you could ofcourse exchange china bricks working display to your 001 version .
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

Last edited by rainisto; 2015-01-05 at 15:23.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 70 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Mexico City
Well, thanks again to everyone that helped me with my flashing. I flashed the Australian Vodafone FW to a country variant of Australia. from PR 249 to PR 299. The Vodafone splash screen went away and no more Vodafone icon in the application list, but the SIM card still doesn't want to work. I put a piece of paper behind the card (made for a tight squeeze to get the holder back out). Yet, the phone still doesn't see the SIM. No error. No nothing. Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ Nairobi Kenya
Hi rainisto, downloaded the firmware file and this happened;
1. The flash was successful (Windows 8) but on starting, I still had some texts, calls, some pop-ups for N9Qtweak were still active. (when I do a firmware flash, am I not supposed to loose even the messages.
2. Upon noticing the above, I flashed the firmware and the emmc and somehow, everything was cleared but the problem that led me to flashing is still there - camera not responding, even after enabling the gps from settings. Says, 'camera is reserved by another application'

Any idea how I can stop GPS completely and/or get the camera to work.

Thanks for your continued support.

Regards,
Fredrick.

Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by raulito View Post
I flashed the Australian Vodafone FW to a country variant of Australia. from PR 249 to PR 299. The Vodafone splash screen went away and no more Vodafone icon in the application list, but the SIM card still doesn't want to work.
Re-read what rainisto wrote:
Originally Posted by rainisto
So thats more trickly one, basicly if it has been 003 and someone has flasher some newer non-003 firmware in it, then you will never get sim working, ie you have wifi-tablet or brick in your hands.
So it seems it was exactly as he thought: the phone was a Chinese variant phone at the beginning.

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ Nairobi Kenya
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
Thats easy then, you flash this one:

http://nds2.fds-fire.nokia.com/p/d/f...PRD_signed.bin
kindly, since this firmware n emmc flash I did didn't fix the.issues at hand, am thinking mayb there's a new release for my version, and if not, pls recommend an upgrade doable for my version.

I have no idea on how to check.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
If you have a broken device no matter what you will flash on it can fix it. You will need to change the broken hardware.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
kindly, since this firmware n emmc flash I did didn't fix the.issues at hand, am thinking mayb there's a new release for my version, and if not, pls recommend an upgrade doable for my version.

I have no idea on how to check.
what was the emmc image name that you tried to flash?

If camera doesnt work after successfully flashing firmware + right emmc, then most likely camera module is just broken and needs hardware repairshop.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

Last edited by rainisto; 2015-01-08 at 07:32.

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
PS. There is also an exploit for non-003 variants that could be in theory used to downgrade even PR1.3 variants back to 001, ...
Publicly available?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Publicly available?
Not publicly available, sorry. Just something that I've written for myself if I need to switch my device's firmware at some point.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:

Tags
flashing, nokia n9